PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Will my installation scheme work?

LonelyAppleHater
April 27th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Hi all,

I'm planning on getting an Acer Aspire One. I had one before, and, for whatever reason, I was unable to boot up the Alternate CD installation from a USB drive. I used UNetBootin to put the Alternate CD .iso onto the USB stick, so maybe the new USB Startup Disk Creator in Jaunty might work better? Let me know if anyone was successful in doing this.

Anyways, what I want to do is get full-disk encryption for my Ubuntu install. I was able to boot Fedora 10 from the USB drive just fine and it has the option for a full-disk encryption during installation, and seems to be much easier to use than the Alternate CD's method.

So, I was wondering if I would be able to:

1) Install Fedora, or at least let Fedora set up the partitions for me.
2) Boot into Ubuntu Desktop (I was really planning on Eeebuntu) and apt-get the modules I need to mount the encrypted partition.
3) Mount the encrypted partition(s).
4) Install Ubuntu as usual.

Is this possible to do?

I also read about just encrypting /home. This seems tempting, since with a laptop, there may be more startups and shutdowns, and it would get pretty annoying entering the password to de-crypt the drive, then to enter your user name and password on top of that. But, is that good enough security? Would there be any caches or anything else not located in /home that could have some "revealing" info in it?

Sorry that this was such a long post with so many questions. Thanks in advance.