PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remove /swfdec?

kjkoec
April 27th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I recently upgraded to 9.04 Jaunty and realized that swfdec had been installed. It doesn't work too well, and Firefox says I still have the official flash plugin installed, but when I use the Synaptic Package Manager to try to remove it, it lists "gnome" as a dependency.

Is it safe to uninstall swfdec then? On most forums, people don't even mention gnome as a dependency, so ???

joshrobinson
April 27th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I wouldnt remove it if it wants to take gnome with it.
Have you tried just disabling it in firefox and letting it use a different flash plugin?

kjkoec
April 27th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Strange...
about:plugins and the addons/plugins list just show the official flash installed. Neither mention swfdec or any other flash version.

wonderbriefs
April 27th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I'm having the same problem. When I mark swfdec-mozilla for removal it wants to remove Gnome as well. What gives?

wonderbriefs
April 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Okay, here's the deal:

For some reason I had two different packages for Gnome installed on my system. I don't know how this happened.

* Gnome (description says something like Gnome Desktop Environment plus extras)
* Gnome Desktop Environment

swfdec-mozilla for some reason depends on the Gnome (plus extras) package. I was hesitant to remove this because I didn't want to lose Gnome. I took the chance and removed swfdec-mozilla, and it also removed the extra Gnome package.

The remaining Gnome package stayed installed, and I have had no other problems since.

Check to see if you have more than one Gnome installed. If you do, then it should be safe to remove swfdec-mozilla even if it says that it will remove Gnome.

aselvan
May 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I had the same problem with fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04. The swfdec was installed somehow and was pretty sluggish and literally unusable. I was able to remove just that (i.e. no gnome dependency mentioned above) and installed libflashplayer.so ... flash is much better.

aselvan@panther:~$ sudo apt-get remove swfdec-mozilla
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libswfdec-0.8-0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
swfdec-mozilla
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 303kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

asmodaeus
July 28th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Generally, for this kind of thing, I'd prefer to use aptitude, just because it removes all the nasty little swfdec libraries as well, but I did not run into the Gnome dependancy problem either.

pavel989
October 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Okay, here's the deal:

For some reason I had two different packages for Gnome installed on my system. I don't know how this happened.

* Gnome (description says something like Gnome Desktop Environment plus extras)
* Gnome Desktop Environment

swfdec-mozilla for some reason depends on the Gnome (plus extras) package. I was hesitant to remove this because I didn't want to lose Gnome. I took the chance and removed swfdec-mozilla, and it also removed the extra Gnome package.

The remaining Gnome package stayed installed, and I have had no other problems since.

Check to see if you have more than one Gnome installed. If you do, then it should be safe to remove swfdec-mozilla even if it says that it will remove Gnome.

yeah i had gnome-desktop-environment and gnome installed, i removed the swfdec-mozilla package which by dependency removed gnome and everything works fine.

falcon84
June 6th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Thank you very much...