PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Could an upgrade (9.04) be affecting my internet service?

audit
April 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Ever since I installed 9.04 my wireless internet service is very slow. Could there be any connection? As an additional note, I do have an older computer using another operating system which seems to be unaffected.

My real question is how do I diagnose this problem?

cmnorton
April 27th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Look in your logs (/var/log), and, if possible, try another computer and/or the other OS.

steve101101
April 27th, 2009, 01:18 AM
does your service have a maximum download limit.

audit
April 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Not that I am aware of, but when I run update manager I always receive this message:
Not all updates can be installed; run partial upgrade, to install as many updates as possible.
When I try to run the partial update it just shuts down and no updates are installed.

audit
April 28th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I looked in the directory you specified but what should I be looking for?

t0p
April 28th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I looked in the directory you specified but what should I be looking for?

Make a note of the time when you've experienced this problem, then check the logs for anything at that time that could be related. Check your other computer's logs to see what, if anything, is different.

This problem could be very hard to diagnose from here, so the more info you can provide the better.

audit
April 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Right now it takes minutes just to open and view email from gmail in my browser. This has not always been the case up until yesterday my Internet service was what I considered reasonable. My wireless connection is through an Wireless G USB adapter. My decreased Internet speed seems to coincide with my upgrade to 9.04, but I believe this may just be a coincidence.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond but I really have know idea what type of additional information you need. I am loss as to how to diagnosis the problem. Is there a way to measure the speed at which I am receiving and sending information over the Internet? How do I determine if I have a hardware problem or a software problem?
Once again thank you for your time I do appreciate your effort.

Judgegeo
April 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Right now it takes minutes just to open and view email from gmail in my browser. This has not always been the case up until yesterday my Internet service was what I considered reasonable. My wireless connection is through an Wireless G USB adapter. My decreased Internet speed seems to coincide with my upgrade to 9.04, but I believe this may just be a coincidence.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond but I really have know idea what type of additional information you need. I am loss as to how to diagnosis the problem. Is there a way to measure the speed at which I am receiving and sending information over the Internet? How do I determine if I have a hardware problem or a software problem?
Once again thank you for your time I do appreciate your effort.

You can run speed tests on websites such as www.speedtest.com though they are far from "accurate".

audit
April 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I definitely know now why my internet service is so slow when ever I start my computer it tries to sign on twice. If I simply cancel when it tries to connect a second time--my internet service seems to work just fine. I have started another thread to see if someone knows how I can stop my computer from automatically signing on twice.