PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] not able to go past new splash screen ubuntu jaunty 9.04 64-bit

milio1401
April 27th, 2009, 12:43 AM
:( Hi guys i have the next problem i today i installed ubuntu jaunty 9.04 64-bit,and everything went smoothly,i don't exactly know what happened the firs time i installed jaunty i did sudo apt-get update to update some of the packages,then i installed ATI binary x.org drivers and alsamixergui and gnome alsa mixer and i restored my bookmarks and add-ons that's all i did i swear,my my computer had previously detected my graphics card and the generic driver icon popped up,so i just rebooted,and when you see the new splash screen i kinda loaded up then kinda blinked again and maybe two more times as it was doing this the ubuntu icon and the little bar below it changed colors and kind of turned green,then i'm like ok i guess i screwed up somehow,so i decided to do a clean install again,everything went very smooth until i got to the point where i installed the ati x.org drivers and alsamixer that's when it happened again,i'm not able to see my desktop it freezes and all i see is the ubuntu logo and loading bar kind of greenish,i think it has to do with the video card,can you please help me fix this. :confused:

my video card is ATI radeon HD 3870x2,motherboard Abit IP35 pro

And by the way jaunty looks really really nice,man i liked since the fist time i installed on my cpu

milio1401
April 27th, 2009, 04:54 AM
somebody there?,please can anyone help me out with this problem?,i'm running my computer from the live cd,i can't access my desktop or anything like that,unless i use the live cd,also when it reboots and you press the esc key i've gone there too,and and pressed try to fix broken packages and the other ones as well,but nothing happened.i don't know what to do,and i don't want to start messing around with it because i can make a mess.

milio1401
April 27th, 2009, 09:16 AM
ok i was able to access my desktop by entering these commands

sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx

sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh

can someone tell me how i can install my graphics card drivers please

milio1401
April 27th, 2009, 06:29 PM
well i think i decided to upgrade i little to soon at least for my system, i think i gonna go back to 8.10 fro a month or two more before upgrading again.
Don't bother to reply i'm going to be using intrepid.if the mod can delete my post it's fine,it's just using space.