PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xfce4 mixer panel applet: no volume bar after jaunty upgrade?

skralljt
April 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM
xfce4 used to have a useful mixer applet that had a sort of bar that you could control the volume with by dragging or clicking higher or lower on that bar, which after upgrading to jaunty is gone - now it is just a button that opens up a mixer program. What happened to the lovely volume panel button?

Brandon Williams
May 9th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I just learned that the new applet controls the mixer, but only if you have a scroll wheel (or similar). Point the mouse at the applet and use the scroll wheel to raise or lower the volume.

I don't like this as much as just being able to point-and-click, but then, I don't use the applet at all any more. All of my keyboards have multimedia keys, and I normally use those to control the volume.

charding
September 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
@skralljt: I also REALLY liked this bar volume control. I could just use the scroll on my touchpad to adjust the sound easily. Now it's gone. I just upgraded last night!

This really sucks,

etnlIcarus
September 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM
@skralljt: I also REALLY liked this bar volume control. I could just use the scroll on my touchpad to adjust the sound easily. Now it's gone. I just upgraded last night!

This really sucks,

The new applet works the same way. just hover your cursor over it and use the trackpad scroll emulation.

DapperMe17
October 31st, 2009, 01:41 AM
Very nice new feature....volume control via the trackpad.

That helped me out.

Thanks

skralljt
November 25th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Wow, that is great.
To fill anybody in who is interested, this volume control applet disappearing was only a symptom of a much larger problem with xfce as a whole; I was having a problem with lots of instances of xfce4panel or some other xfce constituent spawning, until I had hundreds upon hundreds of them. I don't remember exactly what transpired except that I fiddled with something and then the next reboot, my xfce4-panel was filled to the brim with applet icons! Something revived the ones that had stopped working, and added them to the ones that had been working and the ones I replaced the formerly defunct ones with. Perhaps two session profiles were combined into one. At any rate, I deleted all of the copies and now everything is back to normal. Better than before, even.
Now if only the xfce developers would make it so that I don't need a mouse when logging in. During startup when the xfce session chooser pops up there is no way that I am aware of to choose the session with just the keyboard. Tab, directional keys, nothing works except plugging in a usb mouse. Hopefully I never lose my mouse!

I just learned that the new applet controls the mixer, but only if you have a scroll wheel (or similar). Point the mouse at the applet and use the scroll wheel to raise or lower the volume.

I don't like this as much as just being able to point-and-click, but then, I don't use the applet at all any more. All of my keyboards have multimedia keys, and I normally use those to control the volume.