View Full Version : [ubuntu] computer freezers

April 27th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Perhaps i have not explained my problem in detail and that is why i have not received a reply. Below is the detailed version of my problem:

3 weeks after installing Ubuntu 8.10, i was using Windows XP previuosly, my computer starting freezing/timing out continously. Eventually i could not even reboot it. i decided to reformat the hard disk and re-install Ubuntu. However, when i took it to the computer shop (to have it totally reformatted)the technition told me that the hard disk was cracked and this is the reason why i was experiencing all the timing out/freezing problems.

i bought a new hard disk (Samdung 160GB), re-installed Ubuntu and everything worked fine for 1 week. 3 days ago, the 'freezing' problems resurfaced and last night, the computer would not reboot after timing out/freezing.

Is this related to the software in some way or is it a hardware problem on my computer? i am running the following system:

CPU: Intel Dual core (Foxcon Motherboard)
RAM: 1Gb
Graphics Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 04)

Hard Disk : Samsung 160GB

April 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM
i have changed my screen resolution from 1024 to 950 * 540.

The freezing seems to have abated a bit. Does this now point to a graphics card problem?

April 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Can someone please tell me how to search, on Ubuntu 8.10, for a detailed list of my hardware devices (Most importantly my CPU)?