PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound Panasonic CF-W8

LordVeovis
April 26th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Just finished an install to my new CF-W8 from Panasonic, but there is no sound.

lspci gives

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. Device 8338
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 22
Region 0: Memory at f6a20000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

aplay -l gives

class@class-laptop:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and lastly codec

class@class-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* |grep Codec
Codec: Analog Devices AD1883
Codec: Conexant ID 2c06

kambara
July 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
I encountered the same problem on Panasonic CF-W8.

I added the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and reboot. Then the speaker worked.:p

options snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad

I don't know why the model name is "thinkpad". I tried other names such as "panasonic", "laptop", and "dell", but they didn't work.

photonik
November 16th, 2009, 03:16 AM

I added the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and reboot. Then the speaker worked.:p

I don't know why the model name is "thinkpad". I tried other names such as "panasonic", "laptop", and "dell", but they didn't work.

Yes, I had the same problem with panasoni CF-T5. I searched over the internet and find many people who have the similar/same problem sine long time ago. And it seemed to be impossible to solve that problem, even I tried every way like: editing the alsa-base.conf, tune the alsamixer ... etc. Nothing change!

But this morning, suddenly, it's solved. I just startup Karmic and heard some musics of startup process. Oh thanks god, thank Xorg or someone in ubuntu comunity.

It might be solved by updating the bugfixes last time from repository.

Thank you so much,
I love all of you
Photonix

photonik
November 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Today, I've just known a interesting story related to the STAC 92XX soundcard :D (the soundcard in panasonic CF-W8 and CF-T5):

One woman asked me to help her a problem with sound in her Dell - Vostro 1400. She has just install windows 7. The problem exactly same: no sound from build-in speaker, but sound can be from headphone line :D. After a few minutes I found that her laptop using STAC 92xx sound card, and windows7 faced the same problem, it does not support that sound card. I have to go to dell website to download it for her, and the problem solved.

Interestingly, Kaola Karmic automatically support that soundcard now.

Cheer Ubuntu!

listerdl
April 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Just want to add to the community that I have the toughbook panasonic CF F8 which is virtually the same as machines described above and the hack worked a treat. Thanks.

tieuvinhlong
July 5th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Good idea!

Now, you have one more sound config for laptop panasonic cf-w8 is:

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop

you can find sound model in: http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt

euancampbell
December 8th, 2010, 01:24 PM
same problem worked like a charm! Thanks

your_peak
February 11th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Many thanks. :)

It is also a solution for my case.

Ubuntu 10.10, Panasonic CF-S8.

I have been looking for such a solution for many months.

Fir3chi3f
August 17th, 2011, 12:01 PM
As much as I love digging up old posts this actually helped me! I have a Cf-T8 and adding the option snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad helped!

I had actually tried model=thinkpad before, but I was trying to use sudo alsa force-reload instead of rebooting. Cheers!

Constantine013
October 11th, 2011, 08:51 PM
HELP! Same problem on CF-F8. When Starting Win7 or Vista or XP there's no sound(sound driver installed), but after sleep mode it works. I tried to find the codes you have written here on Windows OS, the system files are not opening. how can I fix it?

listerdl
October 11th, 2011, 09:39 PM
HELP! Same problem on CF-F8. When Starting Win7 or Vista or XP there's no sound(sound driver installed), but after sleep mode it works. I tried to find the codes you have written here on Windows OS, the system files are not opening. how can I fix it?

I love the CF F8 - best machine. Ever. The F9 has been out for a while, 64 bit i5 processor, way more kick than our 32 bit machines.

Are you running ubuntu as well or are you only using windows? Let me know - i know the CF very well and can help.

CommieIBanker
February 19th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I had this identical audio problem in 11.10 (fully updated through 2/18/12), and used 'laptop' (instead of 'thinkpad' though I suspect that would have worked as well).

Worked like a charm.

charleeontopvegas
April 17th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I had this identical audio problem in 11.10 (fully updated through 2/18/12), and used 'laptop' (instead of 'thinkpad' though I suspect that would have worked as well).

Worked like a charm.

Same problem here, but when I type in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
all I get is command not found, what am I doing wrong?
I type in /etc I get bash: /etc is a directory.

What am I doing wrong.

thanks charlee

HopToIt
February 3rd, 2013, 08:40 PM
Same problem here, but when I type in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
all I get is command not found, what am I doing wrong?
I type in /etc I get bash: /etc is a directory.

What am I doing wrong.

thanks charlee

you need to open gedit as the admin in order to save changes to alsa-base.conf
Enter following command in TERMINAL: sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

then add the following line and save changes:
or
options snd-hda-intel model=laptop

Another success getting headphone sense jack capability to reactivate on an CF-52 semi-rugged running 12.10 32-bit. No need to goof around with alsa-mixer, adding the model=thinkpad line now shuts off laptop speakers when inserting headphones. Will try the model=laptop flavor also to see if that works also.

Try this post for more detail about what's going on with the alsa.conf in this matter:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043568