PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Backup files before using update manager!!!

Smiley Coyote
April 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I had Ubuntu Studio the other day and when I went to update, I ended up with a system that wouldn't even boot. So, I accessed my files with my 8.10 CD to back them up and try again and found that some of it I was not even allowed to even read, as if it wasn't sure I was who I said I was; after all, my system was set to only login with the use of a password.

I backed up what I could. Thank God nothing important was unavailable but a warning of this sort would have been nice instead of being actively encouraged that doing it this way would negate the need for backing up anything. I spent hours poring over what had been said and I suspect that there are folks you are going to hear from out there with similar experiences that just can't get online to even divulge it.

Eventually, I reinstalled 8.10 on a whole new, clean partition, using the whole drive and tried again but when updated the same thing happened: on the boot just the word BUG showing with hundred of digits showing in columns and rows and no option to continue further or debug or anything, i.e. no way to boot.

I have 8.10 now for a third time and I am going to wait for 9.05 at least before I enter that nightmare again.

For noobs this is huge; my system had been tweaked through the pain that comes with trial and error for someone brand new to Linux. It is going to take days to get my system back to where it was, if that is even possible.

I repeat: backup your files before trying to upgrade with Update Manager!

lisati
April 26th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the reminder.

Making a backup is something that many of us who have been around a while do almost automatically, without thinking too much about it.

Although most installations go fairly smoothly, things can (and do) go wrong from time to time. We can't underestimate the value of a proper strategy for recovery of important data when things do go wrong. (Having learnt the value of backups the hard way on an MS-DOS system many years ago, I could "wax lyrincal")