PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No Video \ Is there such a thing as Safe Mode?

Mel Shepherd
April 26th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Here is what I did. Ubuntu updated from the internet from Ubuntu 8.10. The update seemed to work like a charm,but I think I did a stupid thing as a newbie to linux. I have an HD3450 ATI Card. I am using linux not as my main distro, but from with inside of VMWare Workstation 6.5. I have all the updates that are needed to use this video card from within windows Vista 64 bit Ultimate. So, I thought I would do same from within Linux. I installed Xorg, and the Kernel that ATI said had to be installed, plus all the additives it said was essential to run Linux ATI drivers. I istalled most of this additives, but the Linux Drivers, which remained on the desktop yet to be installed. Over the weekend I was gone. Now I can't even boot into Ubuntu Linux from VMWare Workstation. All I receive is a the Ubuntu bootup screen and then a black screen.

I don't imagine there is such a thing as safe mode right? How do you delete what was installed and get back to where everything as running just fine? I am downloading the Ubuntu 9.04 at this time and will burn that download to disc. However, I don't want to reinstall everything. Can anybody me figure out how to boot into linux and from the kernel share with me the commands to be typed so as to make this happen?

I will wait for your response?