PDA

View Full Version : Jaunty Upgrade: How long did it take?

sports fan Matt
April 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Just wondering how long it took ya'll to upgrade to jaunty and what were the upload/download speeds?

Edit: No poll, just curious

NightwishFan
April 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
A little tip:

Under system - preferences - software sources there is a location where you can autodetect the fastest server. The update should be fairly fast on a decent connection. No more than 30 mins to download and 20 to update.

Choose "download from" and pick other.

calrogman
April 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
However long it took me to download the .iso file from a nearby mirror + the amout of time to find and burn a CD + a reboot + deleting all configuration files and folders + running installer, remembering to not format the /home partition.

Less than 6 hours, kept all personal files but did a clean install to minimise breakages.

FTW

There is no more breakage-proof way of doing it.

rudihawk
April 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM
However long it took me to download the .iso file from a nearby mirror + the amout of time to find and burn a CD + a reboot + deleting all configuration files and folders + running installer, remembering to not format the /home partition.

Less than 6 hours, kept all personal files but did a clean install to minimise breakages.

FTW

There is no more breakage-proof way of doing it.

+QFT - same as what I did :)

sv1cdn
April 27th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Compared to previous upgrades from 7 -> 8 Ubuntu, this one was super fast!

SonicSteve
April 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I have my /home folder on a separate partition, this means that I download the ISO file, burn it, and install it.

I use the manual option for setting up partitions during the install. I told it to use the system partition with EXT4, reuse the same swap area, and mount the home folder on the same old partition where it was with 8.10. After the install I only had to install codecs, a few apps, and I was done. So not counting the 20min to download the ISO the whole process was a bit more than an hour, in the end I have a fresh install and it's clean.

aktiwers
April 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
The upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 took about 40mins to 1 hour here.