PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Umm..I think Ubuntu (via wubi) has caused winXP problems....is this even possible?

nysmitty
April 26th, 2009, 09:25 PM
OK, I know the answer to this should be a big spanking "NO" but hear me out for a second.
I run winxp on lenovo t61 laptop (under a year old). Installed ubuntu last week through wubi. It was seamless, ubuntu is SUPER cool.

But I experienced three separate issues in windows post-installation:

1) After various unsuccessful attempts at installing flash on ubuntu, watching flash movies (i.e. on hulu.com or youtube.com) in windows began to crash my entire computer to the point that I had to force shut-down the system

2) Overall, my windows system suddenly has had some serious chokes, as in dead-freezing on the login screen, or having a system failure after standing by.

3) The lenovo-installed "Access Connections" software which manages wifi/ethernet profiles crashed and I had to uninstall it and go back to windows native network connections.

Windows WAS slowing down for me, but I never had any significant bugs, crashes, and especially, in the year prior to installing ubuntu/wubi, NEVER had to force shut-down the entire system.

I installed wubi/ubuntu in order to "give ubuntu a test drive" and get to know it before switching whole hog, but after today's system crash, I fully uninstalled ubuntu for fear that it might, in fact, be causing some conflict with my windows install.

IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE? Or are these just three crazy coincidences?

I've been doing this long enough to know that, while coincidences are possible, there usually IS a trail of breadcrumbs, so to speak.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever heard anything like this?

I've searched the forums a bit, haven't found anyone with this exact issue, thought I'd bring it up.

Thanks, and I hope to make the switch sometime soon.
peace
Smitty

zvacet
April 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Why donīt you try dual boot?That way you will have two separate OS and they will not affect each other.Just a thought.

nysmitty
April 27th, 2009, 03:33 AM
sure, that's a good idea, I'll try that. I guess wubi has conflicts with Windows after all....

... anyway, wubi did what it said it would do: whet my appetite for ubuntu.

sailthesea
April 27th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I have used Wubi a few times and all the problems you mention sound a little familiar I think windows doesn't like having a huge lump of code installed within it Taking Wubi off always fixed it but its a good way to test things out
Yes Dual booting would be best but it is not easy stuff!

nysmitty
April 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm just going to do a reinstall of WinXP to erase whatever problems I caused by doing the WUBI install.

If anyone here has contacts at Wubi, I think it would be right of them to offer some cautions on their site about the potential conflicts. I clearly made the mistake of trusting their promises implicitly, but the problems caused on my laptop were no coincidence.