PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First time installing... No operating system found..

jiee
April 26th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi guys,

So I burnt the the ubuntu ISO file using IfraRecorder.. and set BIOS to boot from CD, once I did that and restarted the computer, I get an error: "No Operating system found. Press F1 to repeat boot sequence."

One of the reasons I was installing Ubuntu is because I have forgotten my XP password and have no XP cd on hand to reset the pass and I really want to try out linux.

So if anyone can help me out, would appreciate it!

albinootje
April 26th, 2009, 09:24 PM
So I burnt the the ubuntu ISO file using IfraRecorder.. and set BIOS to boot from CD, once I did that and restarted the computer, I get an error: "No Operating system found.

You followed this howto I assume ?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Can your machine boot from an usb stick ?
If so, then prepare a bootable usb stick with unetbootin :
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

jiee
April 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I looked up this error and I see many people having this error with the same IBM machines... :S

I will try the unetbootin with USB. thanks.

jiee
April 26th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Just found out, can't boot from USB... The only "removable" device listed is floppy disk, there's no option for USB, but I do see USB in the general device list.

Sealbhach
April 26th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Are you sure you burnt the .iso image, not the files themeselves? Looks Like a problem with what's on the CD.

albinootje
April 26th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Just found out, can't boot from USB
That's a pity.
Is this a laptop or a desktop machine ?
With a desktop machine it is fairly easy to take out the hdd and put it in another desktop machine just for the installation of Ubuntu.

jiee
April 26th, 2009, 10:47 PM
The machine I am trying to install Ubunto on is an old P4 IBM machine... of which I forgot the Windows XP Pro password (and don't have XP cd / boot disk to reset the pass)... so thought of installing Ubuntu..

I am sure I burned the ISO image onto the CD, I think that's what InfraRecorder did.. I tested it out on my laptop and Uuntu Installation launched properly.

I am thinking that the old machine's cd/dvd drive is dead? I have checked all connections, everything is working ok. In BIOS I have disbaled everything except CD/DVD drive (in startup sequence)..

Really dunno now, I guess I will try to get an XPS or Vista cd and try if that boots up..

If you guys have any other suggestions, let me know..

lisati
April 26th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Just a thought: The iso file needs to be burned as a "disk image", not as a file.

Sealbhach
April 27th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I am sure I burned the ISO image onto the CD, I think that's what InfraRecorder did.. I tested it out on my laptop and Ubuntu Installation launched properly.

So the CD is OK? Hmmm. Try the Windows CD then, see what it does.