PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Media Server - Noob

Lukios
April 26th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I want to build a Media Server that will accomplish several things. I've done some searching but cant find all the answers I need. This will be my first experience with setting up a server so I don't really have any background experience to help me. Anyways, I want to set up a media server that will not only allow me to stream videos and music to my home network, but to any location with an internet connection. I would also like to retrieve and upload any file to the server from any location with an internet connection, I would like to do this with some sort of GUI or Webpage with upload and download options. And finally I want to be able to run a torrent program from one computer and have it download all my files to the server computer instead of the host (if I could do that from any location with internet as well that would be cool to). Im not planning on using this computer for anything other then a server to accomplish all this. So here are my questions:

1. What is the best Linux Distro to use for the server. I understand that in order to stream media to another computer, that the server must have all the codecs to support the media, So I've considered Linux Mint simply because I dont wanna go through a long process of downloading and setting up all the codecs manually. Now if this is me just being lazy, your right, and if this is not practical just say so. The other options of course was ubuntu, and ubuntu server. If there are others that would better suit my needs please let me know.

2. what kind of quality streaming play back am I looking at when playing videos and music from another computer.

3. what programs would I need to accomplish all this and is all of this possible on one server?

Here is my set-up

P4 3.0 GHZ
1 GB RAM (Will be upgraded)
60 GB HD (Will Be Upgraded)
1.2 Sec MB Internet Bandwidth