PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] System won't shutdown cleanly; 9.04 post-install restart also failed

Rulls
April 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I need assistance with how to resolve shutdown problem. When I shut down the system, it freezes at a text screen (appears to be well into the shutdown process), and the only way to get out is to force a power down.

In case it might be related, the shutdown-restart sequence that occurs at the end of the installation process also failed with similar behavior.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Latito
April 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I'm having the same issue, any idea on what could be causing this?

lisati
April 28th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I had 9.04 briefly on one of my laptops and had the exact same problem: hanging on shutdown. I read elsewhere in the forums that it sometimes appears to be connected with the wireless card, and one person suggested turning off your wifi card before shutdown.

Rulls
April 28th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion, Lisati. Update on symptoms on my machine - shutdown problem is intermittent. Sometimes I get a clean shutdown, and sometimes the same lockup. I had not yet tried turning off wi-fi.

So it appears that this is not an uncommon problem, but what I'm not hearing about is a focus on a solution (an actual solution, not an awkward workaround). Is this being addressed? Is a general symptom like this an appropriate subject for bug reporting?

Monsieur Gonzalez
April 28th, 2009, 04:34 PM
What are your system specs? (video card, ram, swap partition size).

Rulls
April 28th, 2009, 05:06 PM
My system specs are:
Make and Model - Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.6 GHz
Video - Intel GMA 950
Wireless - Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
RAM - 1.5 Gb
Swap - 3 Gb

Monsieur Gonzalez
April 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Just a little test:

1- Save all your work and close any open programs.
2- Change to a terminal (Control+Alt+F1)
3- log as your user
4- enter "sudo shutdown -h now" and watch the shutdown sequence for any errors that might give a clue about the problem

Rulls
April 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Just a little test:

1- Save all your work and close any open programs.
2- Change to a terminal (Control+Alt+F1)
3- log as your user
4- enter "sudo shutdown -h now" and watch the shutdown sequence for any errors that might give a clue about the problem

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll shutdown shortly and try that.

I'm thinking there must be a log where any messages from all recent shutdowns would have been recorded. Do you know if that's the case, and where I might find that log?

Monsieur Gonzalez
April 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Logs are kept in /var/log/ . There are many files, you might want to take a look at messages, kmesg, syslog

l-x-l
April 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I had a problem with my wireless card shutting down & found a work around from this site & it works for me:

Workaround (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Ubuntu_8.10_(Intrepid_Ibex)_on_a_Thinkpad_ T400#Shutdown_freezes_sometimes)

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/alsa-utils

Search for "stop)" and add immediately below:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig wlan0 down

fotis_utmost
May 1st, 2009, 12:36 AM
I had a problem with my wireless card shutting down & found a work around from this site & it works for me:

Workaround (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Ubuntu_8.10_(Intrepid_Ibex)_on_a_Thinkpad_ T400#Shutdown_freezes_sometimes)

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/alsa-utils

Search for "stop)" and add immediately below:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig wlan0 down

It worked for me too! Thanks man!

l-x-l
May 4th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Update: If you're laptop won't shutdown due to wireless not shutting down, a proper fix was posted by hesapotman HERE. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7149271&postcount=22) I'm now using his solution instead of the one I posted earlier.