PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network Manager still a pain

phantom3113
April 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
A few months ago, I decided to switch my internet network device to wicd as NM finally pushed me over the edge. More recently, I've downloaded and burned an .iso for 9.04 and was trying the live CD experience. After it was all booted up, I pleasantly saw that my wireless card was already supported (not really surprising since it was in 8.10) and went to attempt connecting to the internet through the default NM. At this point, it was a repeat performance of when I burned a live CD of 8.10 back in October/November: NM would attempt to connect for a minute, and then ask for the authentication key again (and loop indefinitely until I got tired of it). When this happened in 8.10, the only fix I found was to request a free cd from Canonical (which I can't do for 9.04 yet, as the shipit website is down due to fresh release and uber demand). So, I guess this is more of an anti-NM disappointment rant, and it has reminded me why I wait about a month for a new release of Ubuntu. *sigh*

ee19921
April 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM
It used to work great in Intrepid. Since upgrading to Jaunty, same thing is happening to me. Keeps asking for the password and finally errors out(doesn't infinite loop).

phantom3113
April 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
When I initially got Intrepid, I figured it was a cd defect since the canonical cd didn't give me that problem. I guess I could install it and then swap it out for wicd (if it doesn't change to that automatically since I already have that installed and I'll be mounting /home; but I figure I'll have to)

sv1cdn
April 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Benn using 8.10 at laptop with WiCD http://wicd.sourceforge.net then upgraded to 9.04, still works fine!
Network manager? Left it at my desktop but made several settings in resolv.conf and interfaces files to get them work for network.