PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Erratic mouse behavior in 9.04

sadata
April 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I've installed 9.04 on an HP tx2 covertible laptop/tablet and am experiencing intermittent problems with the mouse pointer moving on its own. When it occurs, it basically renders the system unusable since it's virtually impossible to control the mouse. For example, as you move the mouse pointer to the menus in the top-left corner of the desktop, the pointer will all of a sudden move to the center of the desktop. And it will do it repeatedly making it nearly impossible to click on icons (panel or desktop) or menus.

Now here's the strange part -- the problem only occurs on the desktop when no windows are open. If I open a terminal window, Nautilus window, Firefox, etc. the mouse behaves as it should - flawlessly - even when hovering outside of the window or when the window loses focus. However, if you minimize all windows, the problem picks up right where it left off.

Also, the problem never occurs on the login screen, nor is it affected if Compiz is enabled or disabled. And, it affects all attached pointing devices (touchpad, wired mouse, wireless mouse) except for the digitizer pen.

This problem does not occur with 8.10. I suspect it has something to do with the version of GDM that ships with 9.04.

Any ideas?

sadata
April 29th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I had neglected to mention above that I had the desktop background set to a solid color (i.e. no wallpaper). Well, guess what? If you add a wallpaper image, the mouse problem disappears (and is probably why others apparently aren't experiencing this).