kadaj6
April 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM
and i was wandering what to install on it
if ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04?
or vista?

Triptol
April 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Always go for FreeBSD.

But serious: your question can't be answered, since it all depends on what you want to do with it. Since you can't make up your mind I would suggest the following:

Install Vista and then Install (K)ubuntu 09.04 to make your system dual boot. Before you install Vista make sure you leave some space in a second partition for your (K)ubuntu installation (30Gb is fine, more is better ;-) )

When done, you have a dualboot system and you can enjoy both OS-es.

ashwinhgtx
April 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM
You could always try out Ubuntu through a live CD or you could install it through Wubi in Vista. But it's all up to you.

kadaj6
April 26th, 2009, 03:36 PM
thx man ^^

A. J. Rimmer
April 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM
If this is your first experience with Ubuntu and you are already comfortable with Windows, then I recommend you go with Vista and then install Ubuntu inside Windows using Wubi. If you find you like it then you can uninstall the Wubi installation if you want and then repartition your hard drive and do a regular dual boot installation. I think a Wubi installation probably takes a little longer to boot, but otherwise I don't think there is much performance difference so you may not want to bother repartitioning, and just stay with Wubi. Maybe you will like Ubuntu so much that you delete Windows and go with Ubuntu only!

As far as which version, being a conservative type I prefer to run the Long Term Support versions so I am using 8.04 LTS. However, a friend recently bought a new Dell laptop and found that 8.10 supported his hardware much better. Whichever version, you should definitely try the live CD first and make sure everything works (audio, video, nic, printer, etc.)