PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VNC issue after Jaunty upgrade.

ausher
April 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I can connect to my server over the internet with no issue. Once connected everything looks normal but it doesn't appear that anything is registering, mouse or keyboard. However, if I disconnect my VNC session and reconnect, those keyboard strokes now appear. So in order to navigate my home server I have to constantly be disconnecting and reconnecting.

Any ideas? It only seemed to start happening after I did the upgrade to 9.04 the other night.

p.s. I have tried using multiple VNC viewers with the same result.

guaguo
April 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Fresh Jaunty install.

Same happens to me.

Really movements works on host, but doesn't appear on client window.

I've tested with 2 near PC's, so I can see movement on host.

Tested with Ubuntu and Windows clients, same happens

thesnizz
April 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah, it has to do with compiz. If you disable the advanced visual effects (in the System -> Preferences -> Appearance) VNC will work again. It's a bit frustrating since compiz could be enabled and still have VNC work in previous releases though.

Hoping whatever the issue is gets sorted out.

ausher
April 26th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Yeah, it has to do with compiz. If you disable the advanced visual effects (in the System -> Preferences -> Appearance) VNC will work again. It's a bit frustrating since compiz could be enabled and still have VNC work in previous releases though.

Hoping whatever the issue is gets sorted out.

Thanks, that solved it :)

fastpakr
May 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Has anybody run into a resolution for this? I'm surprised that this regressed from Intrepid to Jaunty.

edam
May 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Here is the bug report on launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vino/+bug/353126) for this issue.

mattgyver83
May 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Installing the x11vnc package should help you make a connection and use beryl if you really want but you might need to use a different service, like tightvncserver and start both per your sessions.

Hope that works for you.

krunge
May 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM
BTW, if you use x11vnc as a workaround, be sure to supply "-noxdamage" to its command line.

This makes sure it avoids the problem of no or slow screen updates due to the Xorg and/or compiz bug that is causing all of this.

SoftwareExplorer
May 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM
If you need to get in remotely and have a command line, this work around was listed on the bug report:
on the terminal of the remote machine

gconftool -s -t string /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/current /usr/bin/metacity
gconftool -s -t string /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default /usr/bin/metacity

Then restart
sudo init 6

This will turn off compiz and restart the machine. Of course vnc won't work after a restart until you login, unless ubuntu logs in automatically...

jmap82
June 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I wrote a short script to turn compiz off when I'm remotely viewing and back on again when I leave. I'm no wiz at this stuff, so it may not be the best script ever, but you're welcome to use it if you want.

You can copy and paste from my wiki, here (http://script.jmap82.com/doku.php?id=jmap82sscripts:monitor).

Hope it helps :)

guaguo
June 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
jmap82:

The script always turns off compiz for me, even if vnc is not running.

Thanks in advance, good work.