PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop's contents arent shown!

inman
April 26th, 2009, 01:35 PM
i don't see my desktop's contents on my desktop! the folder desktop exists, but the contained folders and icons aren't shown on my desktop ( on my wallpaper! )! the right click don't work too! any idea?
:confused:

PS. i thought probably the keys on gConfig are inactivated but for the desktop the value " computer_icons_visible " is checked! ( " i mean in Configuration Editor -> /apps/nautilus/desktop/* ... . ) i don't understand why the contained folders in desktop folder are not shown too! ](*,)

drs305
April 26th, 2009, 01:40 PM
In gconf-editor, in almost the same section, check nautilus/preferences/show_desktop. That setting is the "master" for the desktop and overrides the others if it is not checked.

Many users have disabled/turned off this setting to allow multiple wallpapers on workspaces, but you lose your desktop icons when you do this.

celticbhoy
April 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Are you using compiz wallpaper plugin?

inman
April 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM
In gconf-editor, in almost the same section, check nautilus/preferences/show_desktop. That setting is the "master" for the desktop and overrides the others if it is not checked.

Many users have disabled/turned off this setting to allow multiple wallpapers on workspaces, but you lose your desktop icons when you do this.

sorry, i forgot it to say, it's checked too!

inman
April 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Are you using compiz wallpaper plugin?
i think i do! but can u tell me plz which configuration causes this?

celticbhoy
April 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM
If you are using the compiz wallpaper plugin it covers your icons - just the way it works. If you want to keep it you could try the folder view applet in screenlets.

inman
April 26th, 2009, 02:20 PM
If you are using the compiz wallpaper plugin it covers your icons - just the way it works. If you want to keep it you could try the folder view applet in screenlets.

i think we are on right way! sorry, but i'm not so familiar with ubuntu ( i have used slackware longtime, ... so how can i deactivate this plug-in?! ) i knew where the copmizConfig is, so i found 2 thing ( maybe plugin as u said before ) , under utilities 'wallpaper' what probably should let me draw a desktop on my wallpaper, and i have somethings called 'desktop wall plugin' under Desktop section in compizConfig. i have deactivated both of them, but it doesnt take efect! any idea?
tanx!

celticbhoy
April 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
You have to restart compiz now.

inman
April 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM
i think we are on right way! sorry, but i'm not so familiar with ubuntu ( i have used slackware longtime, ... so how can i deactivate this plug-in?! ) i knew where the copmizConfig is, so i found 2 thing ( maybe plugin as u said before ) , under utilities 'wallpaper' what probably should let me draw a desktop on my wallpaper, and i have somethings called 'desktop wall plugin' under Desktop section in compizConfig. i have deactivated both of them, but it doesnt take efect! any idea?
tanx!

i restarted after the changes, you're right it was the wallpaper plugin, i have my deskotp's contents again!
tanx a lot, have a good evening!