PDA

View Full Version : Jaunty updates notification. Not working yet?

Kosimo
April 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Guys, does your jaunty inform you automatically about new updates?

I keep doing my updates manually but, looks like the final version doesn't notify them. Is this correct?

If yes, this means that somebody who wants to try jaunty for the first time and doesn't make a manual updates check will never be notify about new available updates. This is an extremely serious bug isn't it?

meeples
April 26th, 2009, 01:35 PM
yea we dont get the notifier anymore :O ive had to put update manager in my startup apps so i remember :(

swoll1980
April 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
It will only notify once a week by opening in a "install the updates now, damn you!" kind of way.

Stupendoussteve
April 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM
It does, but by default is set to do so after 7 days (less for security issues). Because you are doing them manually it probably never hits that period.

If you're curious what it looks like, in the gconf-editor you can modify /apps/update-notifier/regular_auto_launch_interval to 1 or 0, and it will pop up more often. If you like the old behavior with the icon in the panel, you can also uncheck the auto_launch checkbox in the same area.

qamelian
April 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM
There is a new default behaviour for updates. It no longer notifies you daily. It is every 7 days instead. If there are updates available at that interval, the update manager will open automatically under any other open windows and remain there until you either deal with the updates or dismiss it.

Sand & Mercury
April 26th, 2009, 02:12 PM
There is a new default behaviour for updates. It no longer notifies you daily. It is every 7 days instead. If there are updates available at that interval, the update manager will open automatically under any other open windows and remain there until you either deal with the updates or dismiss it.

This.

If you want the old behaviour back, open up gconf-editor. Then navigate to apps > update-notifier and uncheck "auto_launch"

Giant Speck
April 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
This.

If you want the old behaviour back, open up gconf-editor. Then navigate to apps > update-notifier and uncheck "auto_launch"

In addition to this, if you want to be notified as soon as updates become available, you can set regular_auto_launch_interval to 0.

Kosimo
April 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cool guys, I didn't know that! :KS

Thank you all!

billgoldberg
April 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
They shouldn't have changed the behaviour.

Things were good as they were.

But hey, no biggie, I always run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade manually.

Kosimo
April 26th, 2009, 03:36 PM
They shouldn't have changed the behaviour.

Things were good as they were.

But hey, no biggie, I always run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade manually.

Me too, at least twice per day :P

riseringseeker
April 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Me too, at least twice per day :P

Have there been any updates to 9.04 since release? I have run sudo apt-get update as well as asking the update-manager to check for them at least daily, and have yet to see any.

I did a reinstall using the alternate 64 bit disk....

Other than that, things seem to be running just fine.

Kosimo
April 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Have there been any updates to 9.04 since release? I have run sudo apt-get update as well as asking the update-manager to check for them at least daily, and have yet to see any.

I did a reinstall using the alternate 64 bit disk....

Other than that, things seem to be running just fine.

I had some updates but I'm having proposed and backport updates enabled in software sources. How about you?

Polygon
April 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
and this is why they should not of changed it. everyone is confused on why its not checking for updates anymore.

riseringseeker
April 26th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I had some updates but I'm having proposed and backport updates enabled in software sources. How about you?

Nope, just "Important Security Updates" and "Recommended Updates" are checked. I have it set to check daily, and only notify about available updates.

Sinkingships7
April 26th, 2009, 06:55 PM
This is a serious flaw. What happens when a huge bug is uncovered and needs to be patched? Oh no, we're going to have to be vulnerable for a week until update manager decides to bring itself up.

Obviously "we" is used to define the general newbie population. More experienced users can, as stated, change the behavior through the obscure gconf-editor, or will check manually.

This is just a horrible change.

Giant Speck
April 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM
This is a serious flaw. What happens when a huge bug is uncovered and needs to be patched? Oh no, we're going to have to be vulnerable for a week until update manager decides to bring itself up.

Update-notifier will automatically notify you of a security update regardless of the 7-day default setting.

Sinkingships7
April 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Update-notifier will automatically notify you of a security update regardless of the 7-day default setting.

THAT is very good news to hear. Thank you. :)

Giant Speck
April 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM
THAT is very good news to hear. Thank you. :)

I noticed it when looking at the settings in gconf-editor.

It would be retarded to have to wait seven days for a security update. I'm glad the developers were smart enough to realize that, too. :)

riseringseeker
April 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM
It does, but by default is set to do so after 7 days (less for security issues). Because you are doing them manually it probably never hits that period.

If you're curious what it looks like, in the gconf-editor you can modify /apps/update-notifier/regular_auto_launch_interval to 1 or 0, and it will pop up more often. If you like the old behavior with the icon in the panel, you can also uncheck the auto_launch checkbox in the same area.

I unchecked the auto_launch button and yet this morning the update-manager launched by itself, maybe I am missing something here? (I also changed the interval to 0).