PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] 8.10 Interpid Konsole Crashes after Upgrade from KDE 4.1 to KDE 4.2

shawnc_nmb
April 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Hello,

I have just upgraded KDE 4.1 to KDE 4.2 stable running Kubuntu v8.10 Interpid, I can not open a Konsole or Terminal of any kind without it crashing immediately. I have searched the forums and googled this problem for the last 4 hours and have found no solution or any other problems like this one, does anyone have any Advice for me? I have searched the log files and this is all I can find that relates to the console and terminals, can anyone please help me figure out what to do?

Apr 25 22:23:00 shawn-laptop console-kit-daemon[5179]: WARNING: Unable to activate console: No such device or address
Apr 25 22:23:01 shawn-laptop init: tty4 main process (4451) killed by TERM signal
Apr 25 22:23:01 shawn-laptop init: tty5 main process (4452) killed by TERM signal
Apr 25 22:23:01 shawn-laptop init: tty2 main process (4458) killed by TERM signal
Apr 25 22:23:01 shawn-laptop init: tty3 main process (4459) killed by TERM signal
Apr 25 22:23:01 shawn-laptop init: tty6 main process (4461) killed by TERM signal
Apr 25 22:23:01 shawn-laptop init: tty1 main process (5588) killed by TERM signal

Triptol
April 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
What happens if you press ctrl+alt+f1 (or f2)? Do you get a terminal then, or will things crash as well?

yeats
April 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Try opening xterm (Alt-F2 and type "xterm") and then run Konsole from the command line there. Perhaps that will create some useful output.

shawnc_nmb
April 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Ok, I didn't realize X-Term was still working, but I fired it up and tryd to run konsole from X-Term which got this error message

shawn@shawn-laptop:~/Documents$ konsole
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
konsole(2875) Konsole::KeyboardTranslatorManager::findTranslator : Unable to load
translator "vt420pc"
konsole(2875): Attempt to use QAction "change-profile" with KXMLGUIFactory!
<unknown program name>(2874)/: Communication problem with "konsole" , it probab
ly crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not re
ceive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

shawn@shawn-laptop:~/Documents$ KCrash: Application 'konsole' crashing...
sock_file=/home/shawn/.kde/socket-shawn-laptop/kdeinit4__0

After doing some research, I found this is a bug that was supposedly fixed? According to this bug tracker

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=181205

Summary: konsole crashes on invalid KeyBindings
Product: konsole
Version: 2.2
Platform: unspecified
OS/Version: Linux
Severity: crash
Priority: NOR
Component: general
AssignedTo: kons...@kde.org
ReportedBy: rui....@gmail.com

Version: 2.2 (using 4.1.96 (KDE 4.1.96 (KDE 4.2 RC1)), Kubuntu
packages)
Compiler: cc

Description:
After upgrade from KDE 4.1.3 to KDE 4.2RC1 konsole crashes when opening a
session that was configured to use vt420pc keybindings, (which seem to have
been dropped for 4.2). Expected behavior would be to issue a message and maybe
drop back to default keybinding or allow the user to select a new file.

After searching in the files that come with konsole there is a bash script that changes the profile in /usr/bin/konsoleprofile.sh, so I ran this script in XTerm and tryed again to start Konsole only to get a Can not find DBUS Session.

root@shawn-laptop:/home/shawn/Documents# konsole --list-profiles
<unknown program name>(4237)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server

<unknown program name>(4236)/: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

root@shawn-laptop:/home/shawn/Documents#
root@shawn-laptop:/home/shawn/Documents# yakuake
<unknown program name>(5782)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server

<unknown program name>(5781)/: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

Any suggestions from here? I haven't had a chance to reboot yet due to alot of other stuff I'm tryin to solve also at the same time.

Thanks

Shawn

Triptol
April 26th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Seems you are trying to start konsole as root, although you logged in as a different user.

Seems the KDE session (including D-Bus) can't be found. Try again as your normal user shawn.

shawnc_nmb
April 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Seems you are trying to start konsole as root, although you logged in as a different user.

Seems the KDE session (including D-Bus) can't be found. Try again as your normal user shawn.

Yea, soon as I switched back to user shawn the same thing with the VT420PC translator appeared. Which the error is for some keybindings that don't appear to exist anymore in the 4.2 version. I checked the konsolerc and yaukuakerc files and they have nothing about keybindings in them, everytime I try to downgrade the konsole back to the old on it wants to downgrade the entire KDE desktop so thats not quite a option either.

I have finally found the problem :) In your ~/.kde/share/apps/konsole/ directory is the config files to your profiles, open them up and delete the keyboard section out of them.