PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Different desktop backgrounds?

Saint_
April 26th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I've got KDE 4.2 installed, along with some updates, etc. I've seen a few users with different backgrounds per desktop, and I'm (for the sake of clarification) if it's possible with KDE 4.2? If so, anyone know how? I've gone to System Settings > Desktop and under Multiple Desktops is only lets me set how many I want and then name them, doesn't give me an option to set independent backgrounds. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

chandra
April 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I am looking for something similar as well.

The only thing I have seen remotely resembling a different wallpaper for each desktop is something shown here about linking activities to virtual desktops:

http://forum.kde.org/linking-activities-to-virtual-desktops-t-19397.html#pid44509

It may well turn out that the individual desktops that we have got used to are abandoned in favour of these activities on virtual desktops.

If anyone else is more savvy about how to get these effects working, I would be most keen to hear from them on this forum.

Thanks.

Saint_
April 27th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Yeah I looked into that thread too, though it seemed rather risky, looked like quite a few people were reporting some instability.

inobe
April 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM
to change the backgrounds is simple.

right click desktop and hit appearance settings, under picture hit the drop down and choose a background.

or click the folder next to it and install your own.

you can even click get new wallpapers.

Saint_
April 27th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Right you are, but that applies the same background for every virtual desktop, whereas we want a different background picture for each virtual desktop. For example:

Desktop 1 -> Img001.jpg
Desktop 2 -> Img002.jpg
Desktop 3 -> Img003.jpg

And so on and so forth.

inobe
April 27th, 2009, 04:05 AM
i see

i will be honest and say if you have to run commands to do that' it may not be worth it.

in the past i have tried what you fella's are attempting in a few ways and faced undesirable results.

i even did unlock widgets' the zoom out twice, add activity, changed wallpapers and named each desktop separate. and that was useless, it's just something that hasn't been fixed to work in kde4.2

if you cant do it from zooming out and configure desktops' i wouldn't mess with it.

of course if someone know what we are missing here' the information would be extremely appreciated.

warpasylum
May 6th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hey guys,
Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. Last kubuntu I had was Feisty and multiple backgrounds worked fine. Hope they fix this 'cause it was an awesome feature.

frbe0101
May 15th, 2009, 01:32 AM
This is vary unfortunate, why have they not got multiple wallpapers working again?