PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz not working in Jaunty with NVidia Card

glennric
April 26th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I just upgraded to Jaunty and now I can't get compiz to start. I have a GeForce FX 5200, and have the nvidia drivers installed. I downloaded the compiz-check script, and the script reports no problems. Metacity's compositing is disabled. However, when I type "compiz --replace" from the terminal I get
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: Another window manager is already running on screen: 0
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
What is wrong?

andrea000
April 26th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I'm not running Jaunty but i had about the same problem with 8.10 ibex
first do you have proprietary drivers installed and do you have a integrated
video card ati or Intel? Compiz sometimes picks up on the integrated card
even if it's not beaning used.

glennric
April 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
andrea000: As stated above I have an "NVidia" video card, with the nvidia (proprietary) drivers installed. I do not have an ati or intel card (integrated or otherwise).

Anyway, I figured it out. I had compiled and installed the nvidia 173.14.18 drivers in Intrepid, and when I upgraded it installed the nvidia 173.14.16 drivers that are the default in Jaunty. This caused a conflict the set the default desktop window manager to metacity in gconf. I changed that (and of course uninstalled the 173.14.18 drivers and reinstalled the 173.14.16 drivers) and now it works.

Now I have rebuilt the 173.14.18 drivers for Jaunty and those are running fine. I will put these in my ppa soon. Hopefully these get included in Jaunty soon as the 173.14.16 drivers have some bugs that are rather annoying.

andrea000
April 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM
glade you found the problem