PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot Partition help

yobnoc
April 26th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I partitioned my disk just fine but when I was installing 8.10 I had a "read disk" error pop up. No problem I checked the disk for errors. Its fine. I try to redownload but it wants to partition my disk again. How can I download for dual boot on the original partition?

yobnoc
April 26th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Should I try to undo the original partition in the partition editor and start over?

Bucky Ball
April 26th, 2009, 06:17 AM
When you get to the partitioner during install, select 'manual partitioning', delete all partitions except the windows install which should be on first partition of a drive, manually partition the rest how you want and you're done.

Bit confused, you mean 'disk read error' on the CD, not the hard drive, right?

lisati
April 26th, 2009, 06:24 AM
The installation disk has a "Check CD for errors" option - presumably this is what the original poster has done. On the rare occasion I've had "disk read error" pop up, it has usually been because of a dirty disk: recently it was because a bit of the night before's dinner had somehow got stuck to the disk!

Please forgive me if this seems obvious: if you're manually tinkering with partitions, remember to keep an eye open for Windows recovery partitions as well as the main partition. And don't be scared to arrange backups of your important data. As much as we hate to admit it, things sometimes go wrong.

yobnoc
April 26th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Sorry, yes my disk. Clicking manual was the first thing i tried but it says 100%. So doing that will not wipe my entire drive just the orginal partition I set a side for Ubuntu?

yobnoc
April 26th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I deleted the non-windows partitions and created a new partition but I am getting this error message: No root file system is defined.

Please correct this from the partitioning menu.

mikemikejomike11
April 26th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I partitioned my disk just fine but when I was installing 8.10 I had a "read disk" error pop up. No problem I checked the disk for errors. Its fine. I try to redownload but it wants to partition my disk again. How can I download for dual boot on the original partition?
what operating sys? partition with fdisk will remove all info off disk then format ea partition . then install windows first before linux.ubuntu loses grub boot some times when the two on same disk if you can put each on separate hard drives change hard drives each time .windows or ubuntu or any linux because boot grub always messes up unless you know how to fix best though is two pc`c with wdos or linux.

theozzlives
April 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Click edit on your Ubuntu partition, you'll see mount point, choose / which is symbolic for root.