PDA

View Full Version : Can Rhythmbox find lyrics?

Sashin
April 26th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to use Rhythmbox to find the lyrics of the song currently being played in the same way amarok does?

Wiebelhaus
April 26th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Yea , there's a plugin for it , I haven't been able to get the stupid thing to work tho'

so yes and no or honestly I don't know.

That probably didn't help you very much , I'm sorry I suck.

Sashin
April 26th, 2009, 05:14 AM
can you at least link me to where you got this?

MaxIBoy
April 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I'm pretty sure he got it here. (www.google.com) I'm looking at the answer right now, and it took me five seconds to find. We're not your personal research department.

click4851
April 26th, 2009, 05:36 AM
DUDE......come on 700 and 6 beans, and all you can come up with is RTFM, or go here....if he goes there why does this place exist?

Whatever,

open rythmbox, click edit, one of your choices should be plugins, click plugins, scroll down the list to "song lyrics"....YMMV, if it doesn't work come back.

MaxIBoy
April 26th, 2009, 06:06 AM
DUDE......come on 700 and 6 beans, and all you can come up with is RTFM, or go here....if he goes there why does this place exist?

In response to your question: almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues.
In response to your comment: it took me five seconds to find the answer. It wasn't that hard. It took absolutely no appreciable time to figure this out, and I have no skills that the original poster lacks. In my opinion, anyone unwilling to invest five seconds of time in finding the answer, obviously doesn't care enough about his question for it to be worth answering. I'm not trying to bash the guy, and if my phrasing gave that impression, I'm sorry. I've made the same mistake before. However, I continued to make the mistake repeatedly, until eventually someone gave an E-backhand for it.

Sashin
April 26th, 2009, 06:19 AM
@click: Thank you.

@maxi: Believe me, I spent more than five minutes searching before I posted here.

One more question. I've enabled it, but if it works where exactly are the lyrics displayed?

Wiebelhaus
April 26th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I'm sorry I assumed that by me saying that it's a plug in that the OP would look at the plugins and enable it. I was being playful and not very clear , I apologize.

The fact of the matter is that there is a plugin in the Rhythmbox interface but I have been unable to get it to work properly , But this thread has inspired me to make it work which I will do shortly and report back any findings I uncover , it's something I've been meaning to do anyway.

Once again I apologize for assuming the OP has at least a basic understanding of the programs functionalities and for being playful and not taking it as serious as I probably should have. But , exploring the interfaces and setting of the applications in front of you will benefit you greatly , don't worry any thing you change can be undone so experiment and have fun!

Kleist
April 26th, 2009, 06:28 AM
The lyrics plugin works fine with me, but I found that sometimes when the song is a kind of obscure or little well known, the lyrics are mistaken.

Do you get a blank page or the plugin just doesn't work?

Sashin
April 26th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I don't know how to use it. I enabled it but I can't seem to find the lyrics.

Wiebelhaus
April 26th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Alright , I'm a goofy dude. I just didn't think about it since Songbird finds them.

I was listening to Impending Doom - Serpent Servant (http://www.last.fm/music/Impending+Doom/The+Serpent+Servant)

which is not well known by any stretch of the imagination , but songbird does produce lyrics for it via lyric master. But Rythmbox does not.

Once I tried Kenny Chesney - Lucky old sun (http://www.last.fm/music/Kenny+Chesney/Lucky+Old+Sun) Which is very well known , what do you know? it produced lyrics and they were correct.

So just enable it via the plug in control panel and if it's well known (I have all sources enabled) it will produce the lyrics , very simple.

But songbird finds the more obscure lyrics.

Sashin
April 26th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks, got it working.

Anyone know of a way to have the relevant lyrics displayed while playing the song? That would be cool if possible.

DrHackenbush
April 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
To just see then from time to time, hit alt-return ( assuming you have the plugin activated). That brings up a properties box for the song - the third tab of which is the lyrics tab.

As to displaying while the song is playing, you could probably come up with some script to feed to conky or something but I'll let the scripting / conky experts address that.

:guitar:

click4851
April 27th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I believe if you left click on the track, select properties, one of the tabs should be lyrics....I'm not completely clear on where its pulling lyrics from, but my guess is it like MuzicBrains. So of course the lyrics may be wrong or not even submitted.

# Be considerate to the person asking the question. We were all a green user at one point. Yes, some users are harder to help than others, but please be respectful to all users.
# Try to avoid acronyms and jargon when giving instructions. New, or "green" users may not be able to follow you, and many will not ask you for an explanation in order to avoid looking stupid. RTFM, "Go look on google" are two inappropriate responses to a question. If you don't know the answer or don't wish to help, please say nothing instead of brushing off someone's question. Politely showing someone how you searched or obtained the answer to a question is acceptable, even encouraged.

I know where the CoC is as well.....

chrisinspace
April 27th, 2009, 04:50 AM
But songbird finds the more obscure lyrics.

Pretty much off-topic I guess, but man I love Songbird!

monikgtr
August 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
One more question. I've enabled it, but if it works where exactly are the lyrics displayed?

I don't know if you already figured it out, but lyrics display in a separate window, you get that by hiting ctrl+L while having a song selected on your library.

And imo, this lyrics plugin doesn't work, or needs a different search engine. It only displays "no lyrics found" for me :(

mkendall
August 23rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
Lyrics are also diplayed in the third tab of an individual song's property window. There you can manually enter or modify lyrics. I've also had better luck with Rhythmbox finding lyrics there than with the ctrl+L window.

murderslastcrow
August 23rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'd like to see a Gnome music player with the same visual layout as Amarok 2. For some reason I can't get the Qt in Amarok 2 to take on my Gnome theme in regular Ubuntu. Weirdness.

But yeah, I'd much prefer a panel for my lyrics to rest in or sum'mat.