PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu for 24 hours and never going back!

behemothaur
January 7th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Hi all - what a great distro!

Seen a lot of crap floating around about it being too simple etc but being a long-time FC/Redhat laptop user and Solaris/Redhat server admin and being someone who has spent days getting things working I have to say this is great.

Have got all my apps working within 24 hours and just liking it a lot. That xp partition on my laptop is looking scared that it won't be used anymore.

What I have never had on any distro is a good gnome bandwidth utilization meter - preferably one that will park on the panel, really handy when I am doing multiple internet things - can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks.

encompass
January 11th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Have you tried.... network monitor... it is nice and has lots of cool settings... you can have one for each etho or wireless conection you have.. and it shows in and out and even you baud rate. And thanks for your success story it is encouraging to hear. Have you considered creating a how to for you computer that has everything installed? It would help the ubuntu comunity alot.

poofyhairguy
January 11th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Welcome.

Make yourself at home.

I would use gdesklets for what you want to do, but I am a bad boy.

prizrak
January 11th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Welcome.

Make yourself at home.

Yes poofy you are a VERY bad boy!! What kind of Linux user likes eye candy? Shame on you!! :)
behemoth,
Welcome to the Ubuntu Brewing Co :)

BoyOfDestiny
January 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Hi all - what a great distro!

Seen a lot of crap floating around about it being too simple etc but being a long-time FC/Redhat laptop user and Solaris/Redhat server admin and being someone who has spent days getting things working I have to say this is great.

Have got all my apps working within 24 hours and just liking it a lot. That xp partition on my laptop is looking scared that it won't be used anymore.

What I have never had on any distro is a good gnome bandwidth utilization meter - preferably one that will park on the panel, really handy when I am doing multiple internet things - can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks.

I've been using netspeed (it's in the ubuntu repos)

http://www.wh-hms.uni-ulm.de/~mfcn/netspeed/

"Netspeed is an applet that shows how much traffic occurs on a specified
network device (ethernet card, wireless LAN card, or dial-up)."

xmastree
January 11th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Agreed.
Check the lower right corner here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=841) for an idea.