PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nVidia 8400M - Desktop Effects broken following update to Jaunty

infinitejones
April 26th, 2009, 05:04 AM
HP Pavilion notebook at nVidia 8400M. Just done a full reformat and clean installation, and installed nVidia driver 180 via Hardware Drivers. When I try and enable desktop effects via Appearance, I just get a dialogue box saying "Desktop Effects cannot be enabled."

Ironically I'd be running Jaunty Alpha & Beta etc via a dist-upgrade from Hardy and desktop effects were fine. Now that I've done a clean upgrade they don't work at all (which I hope provides some clues about how to diagnose this...)

Anyway - looking through these forums it looks like a few people are experiencing the problem - can anyone advise if it should be filed as a bug, and if so, how? As well as helping us fix it... ;)

thanks

infinitejones
April 29th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Bump...

I tried this suggestion (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7135799&postcount=2)... same problem, different graphics card. No joy.

Any other ideas, anyone?

PatrickVogeli
April 29th, 2009, 02:00 PM
have you enabled the nvidia restricted drivers under System -> Administration -> Hardware drivers ??

infinitejones
April 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM
have you enabled the nvidia restricted drivers under System -> Administration -> Hardware drivers ??

Yes, I've done that... as I said, everything was working fine in 8.10 (and even pre-release Jaunty) but following a clean upgrade to the final release, it's broken!

This is getting a bit silly now... Other people on ubuntuforums are reporting the same issue with other graphics cards, with varying degrees of success in fixing it. Google doesn't bring up much (yet). Can anyone advise me where and how to file a full bug report?