PDA

View Full Version : Other filesystems, pros and cons?

Rokurosv
April 26th, 2009, 04:58 AM
So I've only used Ext3 and 4 on all my Linux installs and I've had no problem with them, but I'm a little curious what do the other filesystems offer? Anyone here using another FS other than ext? I've always been tempted to try another one.

|Mitch|
April 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM
google "file system benchmarks"

After a little research of my own, I believe I understand EXT4 to be the best all around.

Reiserfs is better for moving a large number of small files

XFS is better for moving large files

EXT4 has the better average on reading/writing

I believe I understood that right.

SunnyRabbiera
April 26th, 2009, 05:28 AM
google "file system benchmarks"

Yes but benchmarking is not a up front experience, and varies per system.

Anyhow I have tried XFS and JFS, XFS is speedy but I always had issues with loading it, JFS I also tried but it never lasted a day.
EXT seems fine

Rokurosv
April 26th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Benchmarks are good references but they vary from system to system. I was looking for user experiencies, for example corruption of files and other things. I've tried ext4 and I think it was too much for my dv1000 Pavilion. I'm running ext3 with Debian and it runs smooth and my laptop doesn't get too hot but I guess that doesn't involve filesystems.

@Sunny: What do you mean trouble loading? Like GRUB or booting into it?

SunnyRabbiera
April 26th, 2009, 05:57 AM
@Sunny: What do you mean trouble loading? Like GRUB or booting into it?

Indeed, for me I prefer GRUB over LILO so what loads well with it is what I use.

Peasantoid
April 26th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I've heard ReiserFS is good. Apparently now there's a stigma because its creator killed someone.

Edit: Did some research and apparently it isn't that decent of a filesystem at all. Oops.

samjh
April 26th, 2009, 06:23 AM
If I'm not using ext3, it's JFS.

JFS is a fantastic file system. When I tried Jaunty Alpha, I had a couple of hard crashes, but JFS recovered just fine. It's very robust, and handles power-out situations better than XFS. Performance is solid too - as fast as, if not faster than, ext3.

dragos240
April 26th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Ext2 is great on a flash drive, it doesn't hog too much space.

stimpack
April 26th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I was looking for user experiencies, for example corruption of files and other things.

I'd urge you to ignore any user experience regarding data-corruption. Its such a complicated area and the sample size here is impossibly small, that you will get nothing out of it.

As for user-experience of things like speed, I found ReiserFS was the fastest for loading World of Warcraft.

Now if ZFS ever hits kernel, I think the contest is over.