PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu crashes on install and boot up

irohaphoto
April 26th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Hello

I just installed the newest Ubuntu 9.04 desktop version in the hopes of solving a previous problem of system crashing. I have had 8.04 installed before and I would be able to use the OS for about 3 minutes before it crashes and I would have to force shutdown the computer. The longest time yet I have used Ubuntu 8.04 has been for about 10minutes. When I first install any version Ubuntu would crash at different places in install and I found that if I leave the boot disk in the PC drive for a week it would eventually completely install. Once installed and on booting up the system after ubuntu crashes I would have to leave the computer for a week before I can do anything.

Things I have done until now:
1. Downgraded to a version 6.x.x as instructed by an online forum
2. Checked Ubuntu cd for defects - full version (all versions used so far from 6 up) no problem
3. Ran memory test overnight - everything comes up in red lots of errors I can see. As far as I know this is where the problem is but I am not sure what to do about it.
4. tried to re install my windows XP recovery disk but PC crashes part way thru - in different places.

From what I have read in forums both here and elsewhere the CDs are fine but the PC memory is bad. One post suggested to replace the memory??? buy a new memory card? is this the only solution?

this is what I am using for a computer:
ASUS intel pentium M processor 730 notebook
256mb memory plus 256mb extended
I can't find more information on it than this because it crashes before I have a chance to check it so I will have to wait a week.

Has anyone had similar problem? I would appreciate a reply.
thanks

ben

irohaphoto
August 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
A good way to solve this is to just take the memory chip or chips completely out of the computer and then putting them back into place and then starting up the system again. worked well for me.