PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to fix flash plugin problem

Lachinchon
April 26th, 2009, 04:15 AM
This is not my recipe, but I could not find the thread and poster I got it from -- whoever you are, thanks. Anyway, if you are having problems with the flash plugin for firefox failing (nice alliteration, eh?), this seems to fix the problem:

THIS TO CLEAN UP OLD STUFF:
sudo apt-get remove -y --purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla libflashsupport nspluginwrapper
sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*flash*
sudo rm -f ~/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*
sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/*flash*
sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/*flash*
sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper

THEN GET DEB PACKAGE FROM ADOBE AT: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

THIS SHOULD DOWNLOAD TO THE DESKTOP. JUST DOUBLE CLICK THE DEB PACKAGE TO INSTALL

I can now listen to my tunes on Lala.com. Fixes Youtube video problems, too. ...and remember: there are some things it is impossible to know, but it is impossible to know these things.

mooz123
April 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
This works, thank you for this post.

I upgraded to 9.04, and had to reinstall the restricted extras. I clicked on the 'wrong' flash plugin, and from then on many websites where not functioning.

The only thing this sequence of commands did at my computer was to remove swfdec-mozilla, I already had the adobe plugin installed. I found it difficult to figure out what code is executed when a .swf file pops up at a site, and help like this is like shooting in the dark. Where does it say that swfdec is used, not in the plugin list?

Commands starting with rm I always study suspiciosly, but these are harmless. It solves the problem too.

axlotxlikexvegas
April 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I had the same problem after a clean install of Ibex. This worked perfect, thanks.

timstone
April 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
very nice, fixed my FF flash problem...now i need to fix my Opera flash problem...it was doing the same thing :(

zippy_uk_2001
April 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
THanks for that - worked a charm!

caveman59330
April 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I still didn't get that to work.That version of Adobe works if you have the 32 bit version but I am running the x64 bit and it wont install says wrong architecture.Still I have no sound and I am about to give up I have been researching it all night.This really sucks I might go back to a older version that works.My Jaunty experience has been frustrating I really had high hopes and I feel let down.

gatorbrit
April 28th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I still didn't get that to work.That version of Adobe works if you have the 32 bit version but I am running the x64 bit and it wont install says wrong architecture.Still I have no sound and I am about to give up I have been researching it all night.This really sucks I might go back to a older version that works.My Jaunty experience has been frustrating I really had high hopes and I feel let down.

I am running 64 bit also. I followed the instructions above, and then went to synaptic and installed flash plugin nonfree. It seems to be working fine now...

KILLUMINATI
April 29th, 2009, 04:28 AM
IT WORKED!!! I am running a thinkpad X60 and as soon as I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 i experienced sound and video issues with regards to flash. thanks for the fix.

bhishan
May 1st, 2009, 10:27 PM
This is not my recipe, but I could not find the thread and poster I got it from -- whoever you are, thanks. Anyway, if you are having problems with the flash plugin for firefox failing (nice alliteration, eh?), this seems to fix the problem:

sudo apt-get remove -y --purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla libflashsupport nspluginwrapper

THIS SHOULD DOWNLOAD TO THE DESKTOP. JUST DOUBLE CLICK THE DEB PACKAGE TO INSTALL

I can now listen to my tunes on Lala.com. Fixes Youtube video problems, too. ...and remember: there are some things it is impossible to know, but it is impossible to know these things.

Thanks man. I really needed this.

Dark Samurai
May 9th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Thank you so very much!
Fixed it perfectly ;)

hman1169
May 13th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I wrestled with it for a while, uninstalled - reinstalled, added on, removed, got the video to work, and the only way to get the audio to work was to kill PulseAudio... But now, Thanks to you Lachinchon (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=656375) it is all up and running!

Your clean up worked and everything is humming along like it should... Hulu now plays video and audio!

Thank you!

LinuxBob
August 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM
This has not worked for me with 9.04 and firefox 3.0.13

I did the terminal commands and installed Adobe latest flash 32 bit deb, no change

Rythmbox provides sound but nothing on firefox. HELP???!???

cliff01
August 31st, 2009, 05:27 AM
Another big "Thank You"

Mudbutt
August 31st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I got same problem as you LinuxBob..

someone please help?

kbtarl
November 14th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I did the clean up and when I launch a flash movie the circle spins around a couple of times then stops........screen turns grey and only way out is to kill firefox.

Any help?

tbone7
November 15th, 2009, 03:12 AM

I would advice 64-bit users to install Adobe's alpha version of the flash plug-in for 64-bit systems:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Extract the .so file and put it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Remember to remove any previous versions of flash.

presence1960
November 15th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I would advice 64-bit users to install Adobe's alpha version of the flash plug-in for 64-bit systems:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Extract the .so file and put it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Remember to remove any previous versions of flash.

another 64 bit Flash solution from our 64 bit users section of the forum- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259102

Lofnes
November 21st, 2009, 02:22 AM

I have had ubuntu for only a few weeks and know nothing. Could someone explain what the above instructions mean because it sounds like just what I need:KS

goldsniper
February 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM
You could install latest plugins manually.

Just download the plugins at Adobe and put it in firefox plugins folder.

Instructions is in my blog.