PDA

View Full Version : What about Intrepid ?Where did everone go?

sailthesea
April 26th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I know theres a lot of excitment about Jaunty, but I can't help feeling a bit cast aside having only recently discovered Ubuntu and using Intrepid.
Am I alone ?

Mehall
April 26th, 2009, 04:12 AM
There are plenty, but a lot of us are interested in Jaunty :D

Glad you found Ubuntu mate, and long may your install last. (Well... not really, I'm always keen on making people become distro-hoppers ;)

3rdalbum
April 26th, 2009, 04:38 AM
My desktop is still on Intrepid, but if my local free-bandwidth mirror had all of Jaunty up, I'd be on it :-)

itsStephen
April 26th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I'm still on Intrepid... For a few more hours

I downloaded Jaunty yesterday but I don't have any blank cds left. I've sent my mum to Woolworths to get some though :) She should be back soon

samjh
April 26th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I know theres a lot of excitment about Jaunty, but I can't help feeling a bit cast aside having only recently discovered Ubuntu and using Intrepid.
Am I alone ?

And when... when the night falls on you, baby
You're feeling all alone
You won't be on your own
:guitar: (I'll Stand By You - The Pretenders)

Seriously, if you're feeling cast aside, then jump on the ship. From the reviews I've read, Jaunty sounds like a really good release. :)

ghindo
April 26th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Intrepid was awful for me. There was a bug that made my laptop kernel panic everytime I was connected to a wireless network. I'm glad to have ditched it.

loell
April 26th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I'm still at the impression that, LTS + 1 releases, are not that good of a release. just my personal expirience with edgy and intrepid. in contrast with LTS + 2 releases.

as soon as jaunty beta, I left intrepid.

sailthesea
April 26th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I'll never get Jaunty up on this machine! I just want to get Intrepid going!
If you sent your mum to Woolworths she might be gone for a while:)

itsStephen
April 26th, 2009, 04:55 AM
lol the UK woolworths closed didn't it? We have Woolworths in Australia land too!

LT1Caprice57L
April 26th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Seriously, if you're feeling cast aside, then jump on the ship. From the reviews I've read, Jaunty sounds like a really good release. :)

Unless you have a laptop with an older ATI graphics card, that is.

Intrepid works better than Hardy did on my Dell Inspiron 600m, I upgraded to Jaunty and video performance was terrible, so back to Intrepid I went.

Irihapeti
April 26th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Well, I've decided that I'm going to stay on Hardy.

Yes, I've had a look at Jaunty. I've only played with the liveCD (well, liveSD card, actually) and I've found that wireless doesn't work on my EeePC 900. Googling hasn't revealed a fix, thus far.

That's only a minor reason, so you don't need to bust your boilers looking for fix. I agree with those who say that it's fast and so forth. I guess my major reason is that I've compiled and tweaked a number of things that I don't want to discard and have to redo.

There's a more shocking reason, though: Hardy does all I need, with one minor exception, and it does it well. Why should I change?

I guess I'm just a horrible old stick-in-the-mud. :)

Irihapeti

sailthesea
April 26th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Exactly Intrepid makes this old Dell JUMP! It's perfect for it!
Am stuck trying to get a real dual boot going but thats for another day ZZzz

sailthesea
April 26th, 2009, 05:20 AM
:( All our Woolies are gone

itsStephen
April 26th, 2009, 05:22 AM
She got back and the discs umm... don't work. They're TDK printables and I googled them and apparently last year they made a bad batch which are sticky (and these ones are) which didn't work.

sarang
April 26th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Don't worry - I am sure there are plenty of people who are not going to switch production machines to jaunty until the bug situation becomes clear.

sadicote
April 26th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Beware of Jaunty on ext4, the moment you have a file format that cannot be recognized by an older one, you are defeating the purpose of versatility from the start. My Jaunty on ext4 was killed by an update (bug reported), i suspect the 'new update notification'. I now dual boot with my trusty Intrepid which i am going to stick with, and a Jaunty on ext3. This way i can work with data on both systems from either place, when i need to, and they will serve as a fail-safe against each other.

ticopelp
April 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM
If what I hear about Jaunty upgrading to Amarok 2 is true, I'll probably skip Jaunty altogether and not upgrade from Intrepid until I really need to.

wolfen69
April 26th, 2009, 06:55 AM
i thought intrepid was pretty good, but i will never go back to it. i'm spoiled with jaunty.

Ms_Angel_D
April 26th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I still have intrepid, I'm waiting for my disks before I make the switch.....

Kareeser
April 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I found that Intrepid worked better for me than Hardy. Along the same vein, Jaunty works better for me than Intrepid...

There are some bugs, yes, but ext4 outweighs them :)

aktiwers
April 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
You could just upgrade it :)

ALT+F2

and type in:
update-manager -d

lukjad
April 26th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Am I alone ?
I don't use a new release until at least a month after it is out. So, I'm still here with Intrepid with you... unless you went to the enemy camp behind my back... ;)

Swagman
April 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
You could just upgrade it :)

ALT+F2

and type in:
update-manager -d

^ THIS^

Was my route.

I love Jaunty... Very snappy stuff

sailthesea
April 27th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Thanks for shoulders to cry on Guys!
I think I'll blunder on with Intrepid I've to know its little "moods" Its seem as though Jaunty isn't quite there yet anyhow and I don't fancy starting over with it just now
How about an Intrepid Improvers Forum kinda thing? You know, a pool tips and advice somewhere for those of us that want stay with Intrepid
At least ther's still someone out there!:)

Happy_Man
April 27th, 2009, 02:27 AM
So far, I'm really liking Jaunty. I did use intrepid, but something made me kill GRUB so it'd always boot into Windows. I forget what, though. :(

Suppose that's why I left... some traumatic experience that was so bad I abandoned the install for Windows and repressed the memories of why I did so.

Anyway, Jaunty's great, you should join us!

Sealbhach
April 27th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I think I'll blunder on with Intrepid I've to know its little "moods" Its seem as though Jaunty isn't quite there yet anyhow and I don't fancy starting over with it just now
How about an Intrepid Improvers Forum kinda thing? You know, a pool tips and advice somewhere for those of us that want stay with Intrepid

I know how you feel, the first one is special. Hardy was my first, I still see that Heron wallpaper and reminisce fondly.

pbpersson
April 27th, 2009, 02:33 AM
My production machine is still on Intrepid, my "server" is on Hardy, and the test machine is on Jaunty.

So far Jaunty has been wonderful for me but I have seen quite a few people with problems. I just checked my Jaunty machine and it still says there are no updates. I have not even read the Jaunty release notes - I just installed it blind on the test machine because.....well, it is a test machine :)

I will be going to Jaunty probably sometime in May. I usually like to wait longer.....but there have been SO FEW posts that say "Jaunty destroyed my world".

I was here when Hardy was released and that release was awful :o

Happy_Man
April 27th, 2009, 02:49 AM
My production machine is still on Intrepid, my "server" is on Hardy, and the test machine is on Jaunty.

So far Jaunty has been wonderful for me but I have seen quite a few people with problems. I just checked my Jaunty machine and it still says there are no updates. I have not even read the Jaunty release notes - I just installed it blind on the test machine because.....well, it is a test machine :)

I will be going to Jaunty probably sometime in May. I usually like to wait longer.....but there have been SO FEW posts that say "Jaunty destroyed my world".

I was here when Hardy was released and that release was awful :o
*shudder* Oh, man, don't even remind me about the days after Hardy. Man, that was a legendary few days of frantic "HELP!!!!!!" posts.

*sighs fondly* Those were the days... now everything's all stable and stuff. Nary a peep when Jaunty came out... oh well. At least Ubuntu's moving forward.

SonicSteve
April 27th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Am I alone ?

I'm sure someone has already said this but...

9.04 is really well done. I usually don't install a newly released version for a few months to give a while to mature. 9.04 worked so well with all the programs and settings that I had no reason to keep intrepid. It fixed a bug that intrepid introduced, it now works with my logitech v20 speakers. I'd say join the 9.04 party, intrepid was good but I've seen no reason to not upgrade.

EDIT should someone come across this, the only issue I've seen is for some computers with Intel graphics. The performance was horrible. However following the link below will show you how to revert the intel driver to the Intrepid driver which restores performance. I've been using it for a day now and it seems to be good.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4

raymondh
April 27th, 2009, 03:58 AM

I have 9.04 on test machine .... only on a test machine....trying this-and-that.

So, I'm still with you and 8.10 when it comes to my production machine.

I must say though, the itch to upgrade the production machines is getting stronger .... and it'll be a fresh install :)

SonicSteve
April 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I have 9.04 on test machine .... only on a test machine....trying this-and-that.

So, I'm still with you and 8.10 when it comes to my production machine.

I must say though, the itch to upgrade the production machines is getting stronger .... and it'll be a fresh install :)

Fresh install is definately the way to go. When you have your /home folder on a separate partition it makes the move much easier. I switched from 8.10 to 9.04 in 1.5hrs on two machines. I only had to add a few apps, codecs, DVD etc. and presto, I was done. I know I make is sound easy but once you figure out the process it's much easier than upgrading a windows machine.

Metallion
April 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I agree that the first distro is special. Mine was Feitsy. Started with Ubuntu but didn't really fall in love until I switched to Kubuntu Feitsy. Now while this holds that special place in my heart for taking my linux virginity, Hardy is the one that I really hit it off with.

Despite all the cries all over the forum, this one just worked best for me. The only reason why I ever upgraded to Intrepid was because the new kernel finally had a driver for my wifi card so I could ditch ndiswrapper. The decision to drop KDE3 drove me back to gnome though and with that to Linux Mint which I believe just looked so much better than Ubuntu. :)

Calmatory
April 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I've seen no major improvements. Same as Intrepid with few tweaks. Yeah I like them but meh. Nothing too big.

roachk71
April 27th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I tend to have quite a few packages to build from source, so I'm a bit reluctant to change from my Intrepid to Jaunty just yet. Besides, there are still quite a few of us who would rather wait until at least a few months after release, to allow for bugfixes and improvements.

So, until I'm absolutely sure I'll be able to compile and build those source packages without problems, I, too, am sticking with Intrepid.

Welcome Aboard! :guitar:

sefs
April 28th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I know how you feel, the first one is special. Hardy was my first, I still see that Heron wallpaper and reminisce fondly.

Breezy Badger ... I miss that guy.

cariboo
April 28th, 2009, 12:15 AM
It's time to move on, the Karmic Koala toolchain opend up today :)

SonicSteve
April 28th, 2009, 12:43 AM
OK I finally found a reason to hold off. If you have intel graphics you'll want to try the the live CD fully to see if the 3D performance is OK. I have a system with the 945G graphics chip. It is absolutely horrible. Everything 3d Runs like it's a strobe light and very slow. I hope they find a way to fix this soon. I've seen a lot of people with this bug and so far no solid fix. There are way too may people running the Intel graphics chips for them to let this sit.

This howto reverts the driver to Intrepids intel driver. It has been a good fix so far.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4

lisati
April 28th, 2009, 12:46 AM
lol the UK woolworths closed didn't it? We have Woolworths in Australia land too!

Which Woolworths? The supermarket or the department store? There are still some of the Woolies supermarkets over here across the ditch, but I haven't seen the department store for many years.....

lisati
April 28th, 2009, 12:47 AM
It's time to move on, the Karmic Koala toolchain opend up today :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what "Leapin' Lizards" brings.

sailthesea
April 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Sadly Woolworths is no more in the UK Where to do my xmas shopping now or buy a clothes line?
Seriously though. If like me you have a machine that works with Intrepid and want to stick with it where do we go?
I'll probably try Jaunty soon on the big rig But for now I just want learn what I'm doing on this old laptop I want to install a crisp dual boot and keep it stable but its proving tricky
Also: I don't see the need to roll ubuntu out every six months Whats the rush? IMO Intrepid is great but still needing work :)

roachk71
April 28th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Usually, the six month release cycle allows for so-called "technology preview" releases, with bleeding-edge features, while every few years or so there is a Long-Term Support (LTS) release focusing on stability. LTS releases are supported for three years on PCs and five on servers, while the others are supported for 18 months on PCs and three years on servers.

The last stable LTS release was 6.06.2, which has already reached end-of-life and is no longer supported. 8.04 is the current LTS release.

The reason 6.06 was released two months late is because the developers felt the release had been rushed, and needed major bugfixes before being taken out of beta status (there were quite a few showstopping kernel and driver bugs, and many of the popular applications crashed.)

The main cause for the late release (which created the problems above,) was a switch from GCC 3.7 to 4.1: the new compiler introduced some incompatibilities in the compiled code. OOPS... :biggrin:

sailthesea
April 30th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Well I decided I've nothing to lose by looking, so am gonna try Jaunty out If I can get it installed....

0per4t0r
April 30th, 2009, 12:47 AM
still use intrepid. I recently upgraded from a wubi install to a pure install from a liveCD. I partitioned my hard drive myself (I know, it's one of those "look ma, no hands!" moments) and it worked a little better. After i try the liveCD version of 9.04, then I'll probably use update manager to get 9.04 if I want to. Either that or I wait until Karmic Koala, and then get that when it comes out.

sailthesea
April 30th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I'll probably do a similar thing myself I want to sort this dual boot trick out first But can't help a sneaky peek and am using a Wubi for 9.04 but I really don't think it will work great! I'll know soon enough:)

sailthesea
May 1st, 2009, 03:11 AM
OK Jaunty is slick! And so many things work much better! Wireless is ace!
Never thought a 9 year old laptop could perform like this! Gonna try compiz now and generally mess about
I wonder what it will be like on the studio machine?:)
Sorry Intrepid my first and true