PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] upgrade to 9.04

hippy1001
April 25th, 2009, 10:50 PM
hey guys, just recently installed xbuntu about a week ago on my laptop IBM T43. install went well, and i just got everything set up nicely when it asked me to upgrade, soo thinking that it wouldnt effect too much i went ahead. well lo and behold, it installed well, but when it went to restart it got so far and now all it has is a bunch of colourful lines on it. no interface or anything. so im thinking maybe the graphics drivers arnt working. it was an ati graphic drivers i was using before the upgrade, and i think it said something about them not being free or something. Anyway hopefully theres an easy fix, if not then i suppose i can reinstall again and fear each time it asks me to upgrade again lol. cheers for any help given.

xiii_stephan
April 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM
As far as I understood your issue is FGRLX not beeing enabled by default. This is strange since even if there is no FGRLX X should start with open-source ATi drivers.

Maybe making a clean install is the easiest way to resolve this. Other than that you might want to have a look at this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI