PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Movie Player Constantly Crashes and Exits

web1b
April 25th, 2009, 10:24 PM
After upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04, I cannot use the Movie Player.
Problems started with the very first multimedia file.
If I open a link to a video or audio file on the web, it opens and immediately closes.
If I insert a DVD, the Movie Player does the same thing.
I have a mp3 on the desktop and if I try to play it, it launches Movie Maker and it crashes, but if I mouse over the mp3 icon, I can hear it playing the audio in the background until I move the mouse pointer away.
It is a Gateway MX6214 laptop.

Is there any fix?

hatalar205
April 25th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I think you have codec problem. If so, follow the steps in the following link.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

whitefort
April 25th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Just jumping in to say that I have the identical problem. I've worked through the Medibuntu page (thank you for that link!), but it hasn't changed anything.

I have to say, I started with Dapper Drake, and since then I don't recall a Ubuntu where so much stuff didn't work for me... Oh well, 'spose I'll get there eventually...

whitefort
April 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I found this 'workaround' in another thread. It seems to have fixed the problem for me.

Workaround to get it working: open gstreamer-properties. Then, Video tab, Default Output section. Change the Plugin from "Autodetect" to "X Window System (No Xv)" and close. This way, totem will play any video format.

That got Movie player working. For VLC, I had to fix:
Tools->Preferences->Video->Output to X11 Video Output.

Hope this helps somebody!

web1b
April 26th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I found this 'workaround' in another thread. It seems to have fixed the problem for me.

That got Movie player working. For VLC, I had to fix:stre

I don't understand what you are talking about.
Movie Player launches when I try to play an MP3 file or a video. I don't see gstreamer anywhere

anico
April 26th, 2009, 06:35 AM
type this in terminal and it should work! i just had the same exact problem.

sudo apt-get remove swfdec-mozilla

this should do it!:guitar:

Eupho
April 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hi

I am having the same problem.

If I open any type of movie file on either VLC, Movie player or MPlayer is immediately chrashes.

I just upgraded fro 8.10 and I am using a Eeepc 1000h. I also used the array.org kernel to get all my bits going on 8.10

"Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-8-eeepc" This is still my default kernel for 9.04. I don't think it has anything to do with this problem either. I have tried all the fixes above with no success.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

web1b
April 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM
type this in terminal and it should work! i just had the same exact problem.

sudo apt-get remove swfdec-mozilla

this should do it!:guitar:

No, that did not help. It said that isn't installed so it can't remove it.
The problem I'm having is with Movie Player, not Flash anyway.

Eupho
April 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
No, that did not help. It said that isn't installed so it can't remove it.
The problem I'm having is with Movie Player, not Flash anyway.

Hi again

I had the same outcome as quoted above.

jeshasgoodstinky
April 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
eee 1000 user here. same problems, ubber gay... tried all sorts of things now. even new video drivers. (for a min. i thought i fried my screens! :)

mk just letting you know its not you

Eupho
April 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM

I have Tried the fix for VLC and it didnt work.

I cant even find he Video tab in gstreamer-properties

Sorry if i seem desperate.

I have to show a video this week that all. should never have upgraded......

web1b
April 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Is this a problem that only happens with an upgrade so a clean install would fix it?
I don't have any data or apps installed, so I could just reinstall 9.04 clean without much problem.
I will just go back to 8.10 after formatting if that isn't a fix.

Seems like a bug that wasn't caught in the beta testing.

jeshasgoodstinky
April 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4 this did it... well part of it. totem used to load *.iso but not now. just the regular vids

Eupho
April 27th, 2009, 12:43 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4 this did it... well part of it. totem used to load *.iso but not now. just the regular vids

nope, no good for me.:confused: I am going to try a fresh Install, it that doesn't work i will be going back to 8.04.

Thanks for the help.

Eupho
April 28th, 2009, 04:38 PM
well i have gone for a completely fresh install of 9.04 "netbook release"

All is as it should be :P

Must be some bug to do with the update.

Oh well

commyostrich
May 1st, 2009, 07:24 PM
Ya I also have this one ubuntu 9.04. No matter whether it's vlc or movie player, the program will crash immediately when i try to open a DVD. Avi files work fine. Now when I first installed it said I needed codecs (in movie player) so I installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras and ever since then it won't work. But when I uninstalled the extras, it still doesn't work. Heeeeelp.

D351
May 4th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Same problem, is there a way to fix this without reinstalling ubuntu?

acroporas
May 4th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Same problem, is there a way to fix this without reinstalling ubuntu?

Yet another person who after upgrading, all media players crash immediately. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1147304

Can anyone confirm that installing a fresh copy of 9.04 fixes the problem?

castlefox
May 7th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I just wanted to jump into this tread to say I am having the same problem.

I also upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04

lixy
May 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Thanks, that fixed it.

I had issues with Amarok not playing anything either, and this fixed it.

sudo apt-get install phonon-backend-xine libxine1-ffmpeg

mariog85
October 11th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Hi!

This helped for my constantly crashing media players! VLC and the standard movie player now work fine!

For detailed info: I run a ubuntu 9.04 server on an Intel D945GSEJT board. Video playback worked out of the box after the clean 9.04 install, but completely stopped working one day. I really don't know which updates were done before the problem occurred the first time, since i don't know when this was. During those "bad days", X11 playback worked in VLC, but was too slow to whatch in full screen...

Tanks for the hint!
Cheers, Mario

sickamore007
October 14th, 2009, 12:24 AM

It has helped me also. thats was a issue for me. thank you

webweave
October 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4

Worked for me.

I have an HP d530cmt which is a tower but I guess it uses the intel laptop chip for the internal video. I might upgrade to a better video card so I'm keeping track of the above web page as it has instructions to remove the fix.

I also did the VLC workaround mentioned above. It worked too but the fix is better as it works for all video programs.

crpd40s
October 23rd, 2009, 06:01 AM

Thanx! this fixed my problem!!!:D

BTW I had a fresh install so it wasn't an upgrading problem for 9.04

RandyFulcher
October 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Wow, thanks! I've had the same problem (just recently) Thought my daughter or her friends had crashed my system with a virus. Is this going to be addressed in the next version of Ubuntu? Hope so, I'm new to Ubuntu (Linux) and I can see a problem like this turning people back to windows.
As a sidenote, I have burning DVD's of home movies recently using KDENLive and K3B and having the video pause during playback. Could this problem have caused this?:confused: