PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tochpad clicks things at random and cursor freezes

Quinn70
April 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hi All,

Very new Ubuntu user and I'm using an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop with Hardy 8.04 LTS (64-bit) and dual booting with Vista. When I first installed Ubuntu a couple days ago everything worked fine, but now my touchpad has begun clicking icons and links at random. Needless to say, this has made browsing the Web extremely difficult as I'll attempt to move my cursor from one part of the window to another and inadvertently navigate away from the page I'm trying to read when I pass over a link.

The same thing happens when I'm working with different applications on the desktop. If I pass over an icon it will randomly open an application. The pointer/(cursor) also freezes and disappears at random intervals. I've searched the forum and see that touchpad issues seem to be very common, but I haven't found any threads that describe this precise behavior.

Can anyone help?

Quinn70
April 27th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Adjusting the mouse settings under System Preferences seemed to help a little bit, but did not completely solve the problem.

Next, I rebooted into Recovery Mode and selected "Fix Broken Packages" and I'm not sure why, but for some reason the touchpad seems to be working normally now.