PDA

View Full Version : PC-BSD 7.1 vs Ubuntu?

MasterNetra
April 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows any versus between PC-BSD 7.1 and Ubuntu 8.10 or Jaunty (although I'm not expecting one for Jaunty given how recently it has been released but still...) Or if someone give a fair vs between them?

DeadSuperHero
April 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I really enjoy PC-BSD 7.1, but I also like Ubuntu.

Personally, I like PC-BSD for the fact that it includes the great PBI system. It's simple, intuitive, and a great way to package software that isn't in a particular repository.

I also like the fact that the BSD's mainly stick to a common codebase. A binary application in FreeBSD can work in PC-BSD or OpenBSD. To me, that's a thing the Linux community should really look at.

I also like PC-BSD's folder path system. Much simpler than Ubuntu.

Sadly, Flash and hardware support are still lacking on it. I'd gladly switch it to my main platform when that's all up-to-speed.

I DO think they need to spend more time differentiating the KDE 4.2 desktop. Maybe have some extra plasmoids that work a different way. It'd make distro-hopping so much more interesting.

ScottBurnham
April 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I have used PC-BSD before and I like it for the most part and yeah, Hardware support and be very fickle but I really liked the PBI's. I am not a big fan of KDE4 but I am sure if they can gain better support I would only help them gain more desktop users.

MasterNetra
April 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I see so Ubuntu is still a head pretty much.