PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VNC not updating

Tass
April 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I've recently upgraded from Intrepid to Jaunty, and am having some issues with the display drivers.

The first issue has now been resolved - I had to reinstall xserver xorg. The underlying issue I'm trying to resolve is the default resolution of ubuntu when running without a screen attached, but when I VNC in, VNC doesn't update the screen at all.

My mouse movements work, but anything that would affect the rest of the screen, nothing happens. Keypresses are the same. If I disconnect & reconnect, the action I performed and didn't see has happened. This is excruciating, trying to navigate round the menus, edit config files, etc.

Any ideas?

phibit
April 25th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I have this same problem. When I connect to my desktop with VNC, the actions performed remotely are executed on the server PC, but the display on the vnc client isn't updated to correspond.

I also am experiencing this problem after upgrading from intrepid to jaunty, and I'm a bit confused.

Tass
April 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Excellent - so not just me going insane! Sounds like a specific Jaunty issue - hopefully someone will be sorting it out soon!!

phibit
April 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/353126

Seems like we're not the only ones. And it seems like this bug is specific to the new nvidia drivers + compiz + vino-server.

Suggested workaround is to disable compiz (--metacity replace).

phibit
April 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I can confirm that this is an nvidia + compiz + vnc issue for me, or at least that it's compiz.

Using metacity as a window manager fixed my problem.

mloquercio
February 17th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Maybe this is too beginner for this thread, but I uninstalled compiz using synaptic (graphical package manager) and am still having a problem. Any advice?