PDA

View Full Version : Ubutu Users Percentage

budoor
April 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I would like to know the percentage of ubuntu users compared to users of other linux distors .. Could you post some websites or give me the correct percent.

SuperSonic4
April 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM
If you're willing to do some maths than Distrowatch (http://distrowatch.com/) has some numbers which I believe are up to date. Whether their data refers to downloads and installs or just to redirects I do not know

For example from distros with more than 500 ubuntu has 18% of Linux but is well out in the lead but has nearly double the number of suse in second

GCoffee
April 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM
from memory.. reading magazine their readers are like 70% ubuntu, or something like that..

I think it was linux format..

GC.

kwacka
April 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM
It isn't possible to even measure the number of Linux users, let alone numbers for each distribution.

Number of downloads might give some idea, but how many computers is one download installed on? How many are downloaded, installed and removed when the user found they couldn't run a particular game?

Distrowatch is useful in that it gives an idea of the interest shown in each distribution by the visits to the site, but no more than that.

budoor
April 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
If you're willing to do some maths than Distrowatch (http://distrowatch.com/) has some numbers which I believe are up to date. Whether their data refers to downloads and installs or just to redirects I do not know

For example from distros with more than 500 ubuntu has 18% of Linux but is well out in the lead but has nearly double the number of suse in second

That is helpful .. But still I am confused how the last one month hits are much more that the last 3 months hits (I am talking about ubuntu) Can you explain please?
In addition, can I create a chart from these data?

stimpack
April 25th, 2009, 09:12 PM
But still I am confused how the last one month hits are much more that the last 3 months hits (I am talking about ubuntu) Can you explain please?

Last 30day results are more biased to distros with very recent releases, as more people are clicking through out of interest.