PDA

View Full Version : what programming language to learn next?

HydroTech
April 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM
[Solved]
Hey all you experts out there! I just finished learning LOGOs, then C and was wondering what the next step was. Which language is good to learn next? Java, C++, C#? I'd like to learn more graphics oriented languages like openGL. Is that a smart move?

bobmatino17
April 25th, 2009, 06:53 PM
C++ is good, im trying to learn it, C# is (forgive me if im wrong) developed by M$, so im only going to learn it if i ever have to.

Tibuda
April 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM
C++ is good, im trying to learn it, C# is (forgive me if im wrong) developed by M$, so im only going to learn it if i ever have to.

C# is behind Tomboy, Banshee, Gnome Do, and more great Linux applications...

HydroTech
April 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I learned a smidgen of C++ a long time ago and found it kind of hard to learn. Is it much different then C? Is it graphic oriented?

konqueror7
April 25th, 2009, 07:17 PM
once you get the basics of OOP, you can pretty much learn every other OOP languages...i started my OOP with java...

.Maleficus.
April 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM
C# is an open standard and is used a lot by the likes of Novell (SuSE) and in a lot of Linux apps. http://mono-project.com/Software

OP, you might actually consider C#, it's not a bad language at all. Another way to go would be with a scripting lanugage like Python or Ruby, both of which are OO and useful for many different applications.

wispygalaxy
April 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I have a friend who is making a game in Python. He learned Java before Python, by the way.

HydroTech
April 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys and girls!
I'll think on that then. btw, what is linux ubuntu mostly programmed in? (Forgive me, I'm pretty much a nube.LOL)

Eisenwinter
April 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I suggest Perl.

HydroTech
April 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I suggest Perl.

Why Perl? What's it's advantage over some of the others?

Eisenwinter
April 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
There's always more than one way to do it.

People say Perl tends to lead to very messy code, but that's a myth, it all depends on the programmer.

Perl has CPAN, the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network. It's a collection of over 14,000 modules (libraries, if you prefer that term, though they aren't really libraries). You can find a module for virtually anything.

Perl makes development fast, easy, and personal (you create your own complete style).

Perl allows "syntax abuse", that other languages don't allow. That, also, contributes to the very fast development pace of the program/script you're writing.

geekygirl
April 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM
+1 for C++ - it isnt that hard :p, I am studying it at Uni and its my first programming language. (I will get to study Java later on as well as programming with Direct X)

As a person who loves mathematics (and I am also learning to love 3D vector mathematics..hehe) its awesome to learn.

So from someone who was a total programming noob just 12 months ago, I also recommend C++ - will be very useful in the future if you are looking into graphical programming as well.

Calmatory
April 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
The thing is not to know many programming languages, but to know how to use them.

It doesn't matter if you have spent 10 years only to learn 20 languages, if you could have spent 3 years to know one language well and actually learnt how to program with it.

Yes, knowing more than your "main" language is a plus, but you should focus on something, most possibly C/C++/Java/C#, then pick Ruby/Perl/Python for example as your "secondary" language.

wispygalaxy
April 27th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I'll think on that then. btw, what is linux ubuntu mostly programmed in? (Forgive me, I'm pretty much a nube.LOL)

The Linux kernel is in C. GUI apps are often written in C++. Don't worry, I'm a noob also. ;) There is still a lot for me to learn about Linux (Debian at the moment for me now). Fortunately, there are a lot of resources available.

MaxIBoy
April 27th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Might I suggest Python? It's the cleanest, most elegant language I know of, and it has massive libraries for anything you could possibly want to do.

JK3mp
April 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM
+1 for Python. Also you may wanna learn C++ if you already know C. It shouldn't be that hard to catch onto. C++ and Python are my main languages. (Though if i could only pick one python is my obvious fave! lol)

directhex
April 27th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Linux distributions are a big mix of languages. Core functions like the kernel are written in C. "glue" apps which bind other things together are usually written in perl or shell scripting. On your Ubuntu desktop, lots is C, some is C++, some is C#. Ubuntu's own tools tend to be Python.

eye208
April 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hey all you experts out there! I just finished learning LOGOs, then C and was wondering what the next step was. Which language is good to learn next? Java, C++, C#?
If you know C, then C++ is the logical next step because it fixes many annoyances of C (manual resource management, missing OOP features) without sacrificing its speed of execution.

Sprut1
April 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm a Python fanboy, I suggest Python.

alternatealias
April 28th, 2009, 01:48 AM
FWIW, a lot of places in the graphics/gaming industry are starting to move to C# (and Mono specifically) thanks to their Mono.SIMD extension, mostly as a replacement to Lua scripting, but some have made the leap to writing games completely in C#/Mono.

There's a couple of OpenGL bindings for C# - I've been using the Tao framework which is hosted on Mono's svn server.

days_of_ruin
April 28th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I'm a Python fanboy, I suggest Python.
Same here. There are so many libraries for it:D

HydroTech
April 28th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the help guys and girls. You all are awesome!
So do I need to delete this thread? Is it my responsibility to get rid of threads I start after I'm done with them?

wispygalaxy
April 29th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the help guys and girls. You all are awesome!
So do I need to delete this thread? Is it my responsibility to get rid of threads I start after I'm done with them?

You don't have to delete it because maybe others can learn from it. You can mark it as [SOLVED]. Good luck with your programming journey! :biggrin: