PDA

View Full Version : botnet ensnares government pc's

bootdoc
April 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM
So I wonder what os and which web browser allows this kind of an attack?? I would like to say "it wouldn't happen to a linux box" but I don't really know for sure. Could this be a wake up call for governments to switch??

Tibuda
April 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM
What are you talking about?

calrogman
April 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
This (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8010729.stm).

It affects Windows PCs running IE and Firefox.

ddrichardson
April 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Government is a very broad term, they don't mention which ministry or even if its national government.

calrogman
April 25th, 2009, 08:48 PM
It's the BBC, they don't expect you to care.

wispygalaxy
April 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I don't understand why governments would use an OS (Windows) that is under constant attack. That's just asking for trouble. Obviously, switching to something not as widely used is a better idea. Linux and BSD are secure by design, too.

Namtabmai
April 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I don't understand why governments would use an OS (Windows) that is under constant attack. That's just asking for trouble. Obviously, switching to something not as widely used is a better idea. Linux and BSD are secure by design, too.

Because the money and more importantly the time it would take isn't something they can justify. Remember we are talking about an entire government info structure here, it's not just reinstalling an OS.

ddrichardson
April 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM
They don't go out and buy boxes then buy an OS to put on them, they put out tenders for complete systems, software and most importantly support, in our department its a two hour turn around on faults and a 24 hour turn around on site.

The public sector also has some curious notions about OSS and security, which in fairness is starting to change but essentially the attitude is to trust something no-one can see inside and not to trust something anyone can see inside and exploit. Mad I know but there you go.

You also have to appreciate that purchasing decisions are rarely made be IT experts but by managers who have all sorts of political considerations - a prime example, especially within governement departments, is picking an option that will boost jobs in the UK, even if its a call centre offering a few hundred jobs.