PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] laptop keyboard malfunction

rsg
April 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I have a Dell laptop with ubuntu on it, UK keyboard layout, I connected a standard HP UK layout keyboard to the USB port to test this keyboard - this keyboard worked without any problems; however afterwards the laptop's built-in keyboard doesn't work properly - it functions fine for logging in after booting (so I know it's not a hardware failure) but afterwards several keys like i, o, p produce numbers. Re-starting the laptop with or without the USB keyboard (which continues to work fine) makes no difference, none of the keyboard options I can find in the System menu makes any difference. Any ideas as to what I can do to have a properly functioning keyboard? If all else fails I'll just reinstall the whole OS, but I'd rather take less drastic measures, thanks.

StuartN
April 25th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The NumLock is probably on, so the keys uiop, jkl and m become a numeric keypad. Press the NumLk key somewhere in the top row, right hand side. It is not blue Fn + NumLk, just NumLk on its own. The padlock labelled 9 is unlit in normal mode.

w00d1
April 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Hahaha, I had the same problem.
I was about to chuck this thing out the window.
Thanks, it works, I'm and idiot.

rsg
April 26th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Many thanks, problem solved.