PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 installation difficulties

defort
April 25th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I am new to Ubuntu and would appreciate help.

Ubuntu 9.04 was installed yesterday on my Toshiba Tecra S1 from a CD. The laptop had a new out of the box hard drive with no operating system. I noticed when Update Manger was run that a number of packets could not be updated. Wired and wireless connections work at the university but I have no connection at home (wired or wireless). I tried using the DVD using movie player to play a DVD but an error occurs "requires a source plugin which is not installed."

When I try to connect from the wireless network I can see my connection but does not connect when I enter the HEX Key. Any advice?

leonardo_neo
April 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I am new to Ubuntu and would appreciate help.

Ubuntu 9.04 was installed yesterday on my Toshiba Tecra S1 from a CD. The laptop had a new out of the box hard drive with no operating system. I noticed when Update Manger was run that a number of packets could not be updated. Wired and wireless connections work at the university but I have no connection at home (wired or wireless). I tried using the DVD using movie player to play a DVD but an error occurs "requires a source plugin which is not installed."

When I try to connect from the wireless network I can see my connection but does not connect when I enter the HEX Key. Any advice?

Well, playing your DVD problem can easily be solved by installing restricted extras and medibuntu repository and codecs, but before that the wireless problem has to be fixed, because once you are online, then only you can add the medibuntu repository and other codecs.

Have you checked if you are entering the right password, and upper and lower cases (if any) are matched? Have you selected the same security key option, which is configured in your wireless machine? If your comp works in other wireless network, then I guess there is some problem with configuration with your wireless device. Why don't you try to change security option and password in your wireless device?

defort
April 25th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I can not get on the internet directly wired (via SMC router). Other computers are not have a problem wired or wireless. Any ideas why I can not connect on the wired network? Do I need to set something?