PDA

View Full Version : Batery Life 32Bit VS 64Bit

blandino123
April 25th, 2009, 05:16 PM
ok in this topic type in here which has best batery life and why if you know.
i get
1:30:09 ubuntu jaunty while while watching a movie with headphones, screen on almost no brightness,wireless turned of.this was on 32 bit can anyone beat it?

ibuclaw
April 25th, 2009, 05:23 PM
On a 4 Cell?

Well ... I use the odd power saving script here and there, so I would get about 2 hours and 40 minutes -ish.

Maybe over 3 hours if I turned off all external devices except Monitor, Hard Drive, Keyboard, Touchpad and Graphics Card.

Regards
Iain

blandino123
April 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM
On a 4 Cell?

Well ... I use the odd power saving script here and there, so I would get about 2 hours and 40 minutes -ish.

Maybe over 3 hours if I turned off all external devices except Monitor, Hard Drive, Keyboard, Touchpad and Graphics Card.

Regards
Iain

wtf yo. 3 hours?!GIVE MEH THAT SCRIPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lolflag:

kkkkdddd
April 25th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I have Dell XPS 1530 with 9 cell battery.

On idle it can work for about 5 hours or about 3 while watching movies (with brightness set to full).

blandino123
April 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM

all i want is that freaking script..

ibuclaw
April 25th, 2009, 05:43 PM
It's very bespoke to the machine I'm running, so half of it probably won't work for you ;)

But you can find the nice old hints and tips around the place. Disable unused services and unload modules that you won't use for the time being (bluetooth, webcam, all usb ports etc), and for what modules are still loaded, tell the drivers to powersave where possible.

I have an affiliate who is trying to achieve 10Ws of power on his Dell m1330 while idle, and very close to that while carrying out light tasks (firefox browsing, irc).

As I said, there are hint and tips around the place:
http://www.lesswatts.org/tips/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=847773

the application powertop is your friend :)

I also like the idea of what irqbalance supposedly tries to do, but am yet to prove whether or not it is effective.