PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble burning install cd

beev
April 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hi

I'm trying to carry out a fresh install of v.9.04 from v.4.10. I'm stuck at the point of burning the install cd.

I downloaded the 9.04 iso file and checked the md5 hash. So far so good. I inserted a blank disc and opted to burn at 1x speed to avoid problems. I never usually burn discs so I don't really know what to expect, but I think something must be up.

The "Writing files to disc" window has popped up. It says "Preparing to write cd" and there is an empty progress bar. It's been like that for over half an hour. I was prepared for a slow burning progress, but this seems wrong. Is it normal?

kpkeerthi
April 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Its generally recommended to burn at 4x or less. 4x is good enough. 1x rather too slow.

Moop
April 25th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I don't think anything is wrong. I've never written a cd at 1x but that would take at least an hour or two. Give it another 30 mins. The progress bar isn't always a good indicator of progress.

Topsiho
April 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I assume you burn the disk as an ***image*** (and not as a data or music CD)?
And unless your burner and/or media is of exceptionally low quality (and so success is not very likely at all) you don't need to burn at such a low speed.... I use 4x, or even 16x, if the media allows this, always successfully.

Using K3B see under Tools (Dutch: Hulpmiddelen) to find Burning as a CD image (CD-image branden).

Topsiho

beev
April 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks. I followed exactly the instructions in the documentation, so it should have been burning as an image.

After 1.5 hours there was no sign of any progress at all, and the cd drive did not sound as though it was doing anything, so I abandoned. I've tried to begin again but it doesn't do anything at all - it doesn't even open the "Files writing to disc" window.

I'm presuming at this point it must be hardware, or something to do with the way Ubuntu interacts with my hardware. I'm doing some checks on the cd drive. It will play and import music, but I can't get it to burn anything at the moment.