PDA

View Full Version : New to Python (And Programming) need some help

RichardLinx
April 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Hello, I started learning Python about an hour ago (sort of) and I'm having some trouble with the very basics. I wrote this program while following a tutorial:

# Filename : var.py

i = 5
print i
1 = 1 +1
print i

s = '''This is a multi-line string.
This is the second line.'''
print s

I saved it as "var.py" in a folder called "Python" which is located on my desktop. When I try to run the program I get this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'var' is not defined
>>>

I figure I've done something wrong or I'm not doing something I'm supposed to be doing. I'm a complete beginner though and am at a loss. I took a screen shot to if it will be of any help to you, to help me. :)

[img=http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8725/pythonhelp.th.jpg] (http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pythonhelp.jpg)

Cheers!

poisonkiller
April 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM
If you want to run a program with Python, you have to write "python file.py" (without quotes) into Terminal.

simeon87
April 25th, 2009, 03:25 PM
You need to run with the following command:

python var.py

RichardLinx
April 25th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys! I got the output:
[Richard@localhost ~]$ python var.py
File "var.py", line 5
1 = 1 +1
SyntaxError: can't assign to literal

Which is something, finally! It's late now so I'll get back to this tomorrow. Thanks again! :)

Nevon
April 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM
File "var.py", line 5
1 = 1 +1
SyntaxError: can't assign to literal
[/code]

What is it that you're trying to accomplish here? 1 equals 1 plus 1 doesn't really make any sense.

Volt9000
April 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Based on the context of the program, I think that maybe the line

1 = 1 +1

Should be

i = i + 1

amingv
April 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Check the tutorial example again, I think what you must write is:

i = 5
print i
i = i + 1 #notice the first two are 'i' and not the number 1 (one).
print i

You can't assign values to numbers as all numbers are constants

EDIT:
Yes, like Volt9000 said...

andyhumphries
April 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM
As an aside, you can run a Python script as ./script.py if you include the following at the head of your source file:

#!/usr/bin/pythonWhere /usr/bin/python is the path to your Python interpreter executable (this is the default path on Ubuntu).

You will also need to:

chmod 777 script.pyin order to allow the script to execute.

Possibly a little too advanced for now, but hey - knowledge is power. ;)

Arndt
April 26th, 2009, 10:59 AM
As an aside, you can run a Python script as ./script.py if you include the following at the head of your source file:

#!/usr/bin/pythonWhere /usr/bin/python is the path to your Python interpreter executable (this is the default path on Ubuntu).

You will also need to:

chmod 777 script.pyin order to allow the script to execute.

777 does set the execution permissions, but it also sets all other permissions. For example, anyone will be able to write to the file. If you're the only user on the computer, that's of course not a problem.

(To those who don't know: the magic number 777 should be read as an octal number; i.e., it consists of three groups of three 'true' bits each.)

To just set the execution bits, do

chmod +x script.py

benj1
April 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
for just small things like this you might like the python shell,
just type 'python' into a terminal, (im sure your book/tutorial says something about it) then you can try if things work straight away.