PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it worth the upgrade?

steinaro
April 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I am currently running Ubuntu 8.10. It runs well and stable. I tried out Ubuntu 9.04 live CD last night and I like it. The question is, is it worth making the upgrade? Will I regret it? Who has had a successful upgrade and who has had problems? Are there any great advantages or disadvantages?

Any input is appreciated. I don't want to spend the rest of the day trying to recover lost data.

Oh, and popcorn!!:popcorn:

beerdoctor
April 25th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I am not sure myself. I like the look, but, and this is huge, I could not get the Adobe Flash plugin in to work. I tried everything. Mind you, this was an Ubuntu upgrade, I did not install it from a disc. Perhaps if I had started from scratch... but that involves hours, and as you pointed out, Intrepid Ibex works beautifully. If Open Office 3 is important to you perhaps. I did not try the Brassero software.

michaeltobin
April 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM
i upgraded from the update manager, it took a few hours, but just ran quietly in the background while i was on the internet.
the upgrade (from 8.10) works perfectly , no problems so far.

one minor question, how can i make the new desktop screen more transparent so i can see my desktop background more clearly?

beatbm
April 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
the upgrade is a little problem and has some problems need to be fixed. i recommended clean install with ext4 that is very very quick. Gnome 2.26 is better but there are not many differencies. i upgrade my desktop and had many probs (had already installed kde and gnome). better do a clean insstall

caro
April 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I did an upgrade and I'm glad I did. The upgrade ran flawlessly (I installed the Release Candidate to avoid the rush and updated when the final release came out). The boot time is much faster.

If you have an Intel graphics card, you may experience some slowness; my screen saver and compiz effects were jerky, so I decided to revert back some drivers to the Intrepid release. Also, for some reason, and I seem to be one of just a few who have experienced this, my hyperlinks in Thunderbird don't launch my web browser any more.

Your mileage may vary.

rosswmcgee
April 25th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Did you install flash from Synaptic Mgr.? Mine works fine.