PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone offer server hosting with gNewSense?

DeadSuperHero
April 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I had been googling this, as I would love to use As-Free-As-Can-Be software for my personal project (Liberadomo) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1111444), based on Elgg.

I just haven't found any hosting solutions that use gNewSense. If I have to do it myself, I guess that's fine.

Any information on this?

billgoldberg
April 25th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I had been googling this, as I would love to use As-Free-As-Can-Be software for my personal project (Liberadomo), based on Elgg.

I just haven't found any hosting solutions that use gNewSense. If I have to do it myself, I guess that's fine.

Any information on this?

I don't think you are going to find it also.

gNewSense has a small niche in the Linux world.

DeadSuperHero
April 25th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Well, shoot. I'll keep looking for the time being, but if not I'll have to do it myself.

Are there site hosts out there that allow you to ship in your machine as a server, and they connect it to the grid? That might work out just fine.

Gilabuugs
April 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Well, shoot. I'll keep looking for the time being, but if not I'll have to do it myself.

Are there site hosts out there that allow you to ship in your machine as a server, and they connect it to the grid? That might work out just fine.

You are not going to find something like that unless you go out and install/manage it and have money to spare.

Maybe you should look at VPS like linode and slicehost but they don't offer your distribution is there something wrong with the "freeness" of debian?

Icehuck
April 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM

Actually what happens is you buy the space and the server and it sits in their facility. In most cases you hire someone to physically access the server and do the basic admin tasks unless you can service this yourself. This is the most expensive way to have web hosting done.

Namtabmai
April 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Why not just find a Ubuntu Hardy host and then remove all the non-free packages?

DeadSuperHero
April 25th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Why not just find a Ubuntu Hardy host and then remove all the non-free packages?

I suppose that's a possibility. I guess what I'm really going for is just completely supporting the principals of Free Software.

Icehuck
April 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Isn't there still binary blobs in the kernel that gnewsense has removed?

Mehall
April 25th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Isn't there still binary blobs in the kernel that gnewsense has removed?

Yeah, I think they run the linux-libre kernel.