PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need advice on dual booting XP and Ubuntu

Anti Microsoft
April 25th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I'm sorely tempted to get rid of XP for good, but there's a lot of unknowns right now, but the online game I used to play regularly that only worked on XP, I no longer play. I have some questions before I take the big plunge.

1) What's the easiest way to dual boot XP and Ubuntu? I know there's a program that does it for me but I forgot the name.

2) If I decide to get rid of XP altogether, is it possible to completely delete the XP partition without having to know much about computers? Or if I want to shrink the Ubuntu partition, is it possible to do that?

3) Will my video card work with Ubuntu? I have an ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro that's made by Visiontek.

4) Do programs that are run in Wine tend to lag? Also, is it possible to use them in fullscreen? (I play a lot of online games)

mikewhatever
April 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM
1) What's the easiest way to dual boot XP and Ubuntu? I know there's a program that does it for me but I forgot the name.

There isn't a program, sorry to disappoint. Read the installation guide.

2) If I decide to get rid of XP altogether, is it possible to completely delete the XP partition without having to know much about computers? Or if I want to shrink the Ubuntu partition, is it possible to do that?

You can manage partitions with a program called Gparted, just be careful.