PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple problems with 9.04 upgrade

reswob
April 25th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I've been using Ubuntu since 7.04. Every previous upgrade has gone just fine.

I used the alternate CD to do this upgrade as I figured the servers would be hit pretty hard. However, after the upgrade several problems showed up.

1. I cannot open any folders. If I click Places - Home Folder, Places - Computer, or any other folder, I get a window that says 'Starting' but then it goes away and never opens up. No error messages either.

2. When I clicked on the Update Manager, it tells me there are a number of updates, but I can only do partial update. When I click on the "Partial Update" button, it downloads the updates, but then abruptly closes without installing.

3. None of my network shares are mounted. When I do a mount -a I get the following for each drive:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //<IP>/<folder>,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

4. My video settings are screwy. I have the NVIDIA X Server Settings application loaded, and it worked in 8.10, but when I run it now I get the following:

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

And when I try and run 'sudo nvidia-xconfig' I get a message telling me that nvidia-config can't be found.

ARGH... Any ideas will be helpful. Please help.

Thanks.

aconsumer
April 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Yah.. Im having the same problem as well. Except not the video program in running an old ATI video card. But I cant access my folders or files. No home directory or even mounted drives. Its odd, becuase I know they are there, just cant open the folders. I can see the files when I search for folders but I cant open them or view pictures or anything. Hopefully will get a fix for this it is quite crazy -=p

reswob
April 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
OK, I've solved most of my problems.

1st I did a complete reinstall with the 9.04 CD (NOT the alternative CD). Here's the result:

1. Still no folders.
2. Update manager no longer has a problem
3. Network shares was my fault. Forgot to install smbfs. After the install, works just fine.
4. 9.04 new install asked if I wanted to install NVIDIA driver. I said OK and now have proper graphics.

As far as problem #1, I kept searching among the forum threads and among the launchpad.net/ubuntu and lanchpad.net/nautilus tickets. There are multiple threads describing nautilus having this problem going back a couple of years. I tried many of the suggested solutions with no success. The solutions that worked turned out to be simply making sure that there was not a CD in the drive when Ubuntu started up. I removed my CD and voila! Folders and Desktop worked.

Anyway, that's my current status.