PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System beep when unplugging AC power

3dmaker
April 25th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Hello, I just recently switched to Ubuntu on my new lenovo 3000 G530. I have been using linux for multiple years, but I have a problem with this computer. Whenever I unplug the AC power cable, the system makes a beep that is about 200% louder than it should be. I have tried disabling pcspkr, but that doesn't work. Whenever I mute my sound, the computer does not beep.
In Vista (the OS that came with this computer, all I had to do was disable system beep).
Currently, if I go to System>Preferences>Sound, there is no System Bell tab.
If anyone has any ideas on what to do, please let me know ASAP.

drubin
May 8th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Hi

I currently also am having this issue. Lenvo 3000 N500 laptop, I have fond a temp soution is to just mute the laptop when plugging in and out the power fn+esc or pressing the touch sensors in the top right hand corner.

The think pads claim to have a bios setting but wee don't seem to.

btw I have also tried removing the kernel module setting it in gconf sound and prefs and still the only thing that seems to work is the mute button.

Not cool but I hope they release a bio setting because I often forget to press it and it annoys the whole household.

StuartN
May 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
If anyone has any ideas on what to do, please let me know ASAP.

In System->Preferences->Sound, click on the "Sounds" tab and uncheck "Play alert sound".

drubin
May 8th, 2009, 07:22 PM
In System->Preferences->Sound, click on the "Sounds" tab and uncheck "Play alert sound".

That was the first thing I tried. for now the only solution is to use the mute sensor key that mutes all sound while plugging in the power

swisstone198
May 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
have you run

#modprode -r pcspkr

??

shoby
May 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Friends!!

please see the following link may this will help you with your issues.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4CSRG4

thanks,

drubin
May 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
have you run

#modprode -r pcspkr

??
I have :) (2nd thing I tried)

Friends!!

please see the following link may this will help you with your issues.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4CSRG4

thanks,

Sorry but how does palm OS help with lenvo running Ubuntu Linux?
{title}FAQ about Palm OS 3.3 upgrade - IBM WorkPad {/title}

diggiewiggie
June 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
I have the same problem on my ideapad s10...
this is pretty annoying when i plug in earphone and suddenly the electricity fails, it feels like the beep breaking my ears...
this is a serious problem for me, i suppose, since i might do damage to my hearing...

I do hope someone could come up with a solution.

thanks.

Lancen833
July 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Has anyone found a fix for this yet?
It's extraordinarily annoying when I'm not wearing headphones, but when I am the noise is deafening.
It has put me off of headphones of any kind on my laptop. :(

levi-civita
September 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I have the same problem on jaunty. When i plug off the AC cable system beeps every 2 seconds. It started suddenly when the charge was empty and ubuntu turned off the computer. Casper m54se model machine. Any solution ?

dawian
November 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
modprobe -r pcspkr command works. there is no more beep after running it.

oppression
April 27th, 2010, 10:40 AM
This command does not stop the beep modprobe -r pcspkr !!!
Has found somebody the solution for this problem?

dougamos
February 28th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I don't believe you can change this from Ubuntu. I had the exact same problem and was able to disable the beep/alarm by changing some bios settings.

For my laptop (Thinkpad R61) it was under Config->Alarms

Temüjin
March 1st, 2011, 01:13 AM
Make sure snd_pcsp module is not loaded. Also, check alsamixer to see if you have a separate beep volume (my HP dv6-3120 does).

brakos
March 31st, 2011, 07:58 PM
Make sure snd_pcsp module is not loaded. Also, check alsamixer to see if you have a separate beep volume (my HP dv6-3120 does).

Didn't turn it off on my Lenovo G530 24G, but it did make it a lot less deafening. And with my wonky power cord, that's a very good thing :)