PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update from 8.04 to 8.10 failure

owen1218
April 25th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I updated today from 8.04 to 8.10 using the update manager. But after the install finished and my computer reset, I ended up in a bright version of X with a bunch of dancing squiggly lines as a cursor. After a little bit it seems to be showing a bright version of the login screen, everything freezes up.

Apparently my wife loaded up Firefox and used Google Maps during the install. I assume this has something to do with the problem, but don't know for sure.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Is there any way to fix the install?

JK3mp
April 25th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I updated today from 8.04 to 8.10 using the update manager. But after the install finished and my computer reset, I ended up in a bright version of X with a bunch of dancing squiggly lines as a cursor. After a little bit it seems to be showing a bright version of the login screen, everything freezes up.

Apparently my wife loaded up Firefox and used Google Maps during the install. I assume this has something to do with the problem, but don't know for sure.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Is there any way to fix the install?

I think u got a bad or damaged image. Try redownloading the iso file and just fresh installing. Google maps and the use of ff shouldn't have effected it any.

owen1218
April 25th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I didn't download the image. I updated through the manager.

owen1218
April 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about trying to upgrade to 9.04, but if the 8.10 install doesn't work, I don't know that upgrading would do anything to fix it.